Monday, March 1, 2021

Three Quilts for March

 I like making quilts, and when I figured out I could make a table quilt, I decided to make one for each month of the year. (I love bowls, too, and this gives me an excuse to have a spiffy bowl for each quilt.)

March is my least favorite month of the year. It's usually grey and dull and blah and muddy. So black and white is a perfect quilt for March. This is Terrazzo, a Slashed Squares quilt. Readers ask if I really eat on the quilts. I do, but I use a placemat. You can see one at my place in the photo above. It's black and white and pink. (my pal Julie made me a set.)

I decided to show off some other quilts this month. So I changed the one that lives on the back of the couch. Julie made this one too. It's called Hidden Potential, and it's made from my dud letters. About ten years ago when I was planning a class on free pieced letters, Julie suggested I send her my duds. "Just because YOU can't use them doesn't mean they are bad," she wrote, "and your students need to know that too."

Julie sent me this quilt for my birthday a while back. I love black and white and colors. It's cold here at night in winter, so I like to have an extra quilt on the bed. I figured this one was March-ish too. What's funny, is Julie also made the quilt underneath, the one that has lived on my bed since I got it, and if that isn't a compliment, I don't know what is.




6 comments:

Buffy said...

What vibrant, lovely quilts (including the fourth one at the link you provided) and what a fantastic story of your friendship! Thank you!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Rotating quilts each month has become a habit here this year — with so many other markers in our daily lives shut down, we created new visual reference anchor points with a changing landscape of quilts. Love how you used black and white with color pops to brighten your home for March (we have quilts out here with greens).

Judy in Michigan said...

March should be JULIE'S Month!!

Ann said...

How fortunate that you and Julie found each other. Friendships are very precious.

QuiltGranma said...

You are lucky to have a friend who makes you quilts!

Jane Holbrook said...

I love the name of your dud letters quilt. And, what a nice friendship that includes encouragement and quilts. I enjoyed my visit to your blog.