Saturday, March 6, 2021

The Rut

 

OK, this is where I was going last night, but I got up today, walked into the studio and saw what I had on the design wall and all I could think of was that I was overthinking. WAY OVERTHINKING. There is nothing about this that floats my boat, nothing that energizes me. Nothing that says GET YOUR BUTT IN HERE AND SEW.

I am writing the story of the Waltzing Matilda quilt for Megan, and I realized I got the idea for that quilt on Tuesday night before I went to bed, and the flimsy was sewn together the following Saturday, before I went to bed. Four days. 

I've been hemming and hawing over this for a month. This stops now. I'm going the clean up the studio and bring it back to "neutral." To clear my head I will need to do/ think/ make something ELSE.

I do not know what that will be yet.

 

By the way, this post is called The Rut, because that's where I am. According to Twyla Tharp the first step to get out of a rut is to realize you are in one. Like Johnny 5 of that movie whose name just fell out of my head (the robot that comes alive), I shall seek INPUT!


6 comments:

Linda M said...

The movie you are referring to is called “Short Circuit”.

I love the thought of the design you were working on, but personally, I need color and rarely use brown. I can’t wait to see what you are moving towards next! 💕

Kathy said...

Clear the decks and let the imagination run free! Have fun and stay true to yourself. Only work on what excites you! Looking forward to see what that is.

Quiltdivajulie said...

AMEN AMEN and AMEN. I am in the same kind of rut with my current Ad Hoc Improv project - you described the scenario perfectly. And you already know the quilts you make that I love the most are the ones that happen in under a week - so here's to doing other things while our brains reset.

Britt said...

Maybe the fun was in figuring out the various design possibilities, more than turning it into a quilt. It was interesting to see and maybe a bit of time will bring you back to it in some shape or form.

The Selvage Fairy said...

I think maybe between Waltzing Matilda and Petals, there is a piece of your brain that is saying, "Lyynnnne, we've done this already."

Valerie said...

Maybe it is too centered and static? And perhaps you could add a drop or two of red.