Sunday, March 7, 2021

The Beauty Shots

It was my pal Julie, who first suggested taking beauty shots of all my quilts. I thought they were kinda dumb. Over the years, I have had to admit that Julie was absolutely correct. Beauty shots are almost a requirement. What makes a good beauty shot, however, is all in the eye of the beholder.

Over the fence, near the snow, angled so the sun could emphasize the quilting??

On the granite steps? You can see the clamps I use to hold the quilt in place at the top corners, and the shadow of my phone at the bottom.

I thought this was it,  but I have learned to take a closer look,

I stepped back, to better appreciate the quilt on the granite steps of the old town hall. But the quilt wasn't the center of attention in the photograph so I thought I would hook one corner on the door handle. I have learned to bring big metal clamps with me, so the quilt will more or less stay where I put it. Since I do this all by myself, it's kinda tricky.

This isn't bad, but then I noticed the mullions on the windows stuck out about an inch. I wondered it the clamps would stay...

Indeed they did, but OH! But I had another thought.

When you have a setting like this, you should take advantage of it. But the sun was behind me, and it was shining on the screen of my phone, so I could hardly see what was in the frame. Hmm, this wasn't centered and I cut off the peak of the portico. Can you say re-do?

So I backed up some more. This one was actually taken across the street. I bring a step stool with me so I can get a photo like this with no distortions. And yes, I had to wait until there were no cars coming to take the picture.

Satisfied with these shots, I brought the quilt home and washed it to get it all soft and crinkly. I have found that if you do not do this, the folks you give quilts to will display them, but not use them because they look too perfect to use.

There are some people, though, who think a beauty shot of a quilt isn't a beauty shot unless it has a cat curled up on it. 

Who am I to refuse?

11 comments:

Nancy J said...

The last is definitely the very best.

Megan said...

Not just any cat, Lynne. Gotta be a certain, very special cat.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Raewyn said...

Great photos...and storytelling :-) I always enjoy taking my quilts out and about for those special shots too.

Auntie-Em said...

Your post reminds me of the stories Weeks and Bill of Modern Quilt Studio tell about capturing quilt pictures. Photography is definitely an art form. In one photo I noticed the facade has a quilty patchwork pattern as well. What a lovely building for a quilt backdrop. Thanks for sharing, as the process is often just as informative as the end result.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Yes Yes and YES! I am so glad that my outdoor photo shoots have inspired you to take your quilts out and about. Wonderful photos! The clamps are a really good idea - especially when you go out by yourself and don't have an assistant to help hold the quilt in position.

Rebecca said...

OH wow
I think that Town Hall would work great for a "barn" style quilt treatment.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I like to do outdoor beauty shoots, but I do find it hard with wind, shadows, etc. It is hard to navigate the camera, tripod, etc. without getting blown down. I wish I lived next to or had an old barn wall. Most times, I have to take the photos inside with my light stands. Quilts don't stay around long, so if I don't get the photos, I don't get the chance again. Love all your quilt shots in the post.

Just Ducky said...

Your pics made mum take pics of her crochet blankies, specially since she gives them all away. She won't see them again. Purrs Miss Millie.

The Selvage Fairy said...

I love the basketweave building. It almost looks like a quilt itself.

QuiltGranma said...

I too love the last glamor shot! Quilts with cats are the best!

Poppy Q said...

Miss Miller seal of approval.