Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Making Lemonade

 When life gives you lemons, you are told to make lemonade. When you make quilts, you have scraps. 

I kept all the scraps from when I made my Zebra quilts. It is A LOT OF FABRIC. This bin is full of them. I have a lot of the striped triangles, I have strip sets and long strips of fabric. It took me a few days to figure out what to do with them. I decided to cut the strip sets and the striped triangles crosswise into blocks of four, and then combine them into sixteen patches.

Then I got smart. I decided to focus on the strip sets, and make sixteen patches from those. It would be a more efficient way of working because it would eliminate any decision making.

I went through the box, and removed all the 8-strip stripsets, and folded them in half and pressed them.

Then I used my seam ripper to rip out the seam. And I mean RIP! I did not "un-pick" them.

I used a lint roller to pull out the threads.

I cut the stripsets crosswise.

I paired them up, then sewed them, and then matched the pairs to make the sixteen patch blocks.

and more blocks,

This is fun, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna fill up my design wall pretty quickly!!










5 comments:

Mari said...

You might fill it up pretty quickly, but that also means using all those scraps really quickly. It looks so vibrant already!

Just Ducky said...

Waste not, want not. Use it up. I never thought of using a lint roller to pick up stray threads. Learned something today.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is the fun part, making a fast quilt and cleaning up pieced units all at the same time.

Unknown said...

Love the lint roller idea have one of those at home now it is going to get lots of use thankyou

Ellen T. said...

Lint roller! great idea.