Saturday, January 9, 2021

So Clever... Not!

 I had intended to post something rather clever and witty but I got sidetracked. A reader asked if I could list the dimensions of my finished quilts in my tutorials, so she could gauge the size and scale of them. I thought it was a very good idea, but the problem was I have not been as attentive as I should have been to measuring them and then storing those measurements in a place where I could easily retrieve them.

(Now my friend Julie has a perfect system, but then...  well, that's the way she is. Me, not so much.)

 

So I opened up my computer and started a document with the list of quilts for which I needed measurements. Then I had to go searching for where I could find them. I did not want to drag each quilt out of the closet, unfold it and measure it. Not only that, I am not in possession of all of them. First I went through the appraisals, then I searched my blog, then I dragged them out of the closet and measured.

And of course it took W-A-Y longer than I anticipated. Here is the list, and my dimensions are listed the same way paintings are catalogued by museums, Height precedes Width.

These are listed in no particular order, but as I was looking at the list something really struck me. I remember seeing Julie's Flying Monkeys quilt and thinking it was massive, but my Colorado Quilt is a bit bigger. Of course both are dwarfed by Valerie Levy's Kona Nerds Unite quilt, which is 100" x 81" (which is not on the list because THAT, I already had. Go figure.)

I'll leave you with a comparison of the Double Delicious and Magnum Amaryllis's next to each other. Magnum is quite a bit darker, actually closer to violet (or blue) than the other one. AND check out the base of the double one, just above the moss. A THIRD stem is sprouting. In all my years I have NEVER seen that. Tres cool!

 

IF YOU WANT to get your Amaryllis to bloom again, follow the instructions here.

6 comments:

Sharon - IN said...

That is a good idea to list quilts made with sizes, and actually other details too.

Your amaryllis blooms are gorgeous! Thanks for the link. Hubs gave me an amaryllis and it has five blooms on it, white with pink strips. My dad used to keep his blooming, so I'll have to give this a try.

Happy New Year!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Cannot tell you how many times I look things up on the blog or on my master spreadsheet when it comes to sizes. I learned early on to make sure I wrote them down so I didn't have to drag quilts out and measure them. Got a copy of the White Flower Farm spring catalog - so much eye candy with those happy cheerful colors . . .

Just Ducky said...

Mum says spreadsheets are wonderful. this year she is starting to record her books read in a spreadsheet, along with author name, plus the date finished. Hmm, maybe she should log in when she starts and finishes her crow-shay lab robes. Yep mum, you should do that.

sandi s said...

Hi, I was wondering, if we have bought your bird tutorial will we have to purchase it again to get the updated version? Thank you. Hugs,

Mystic Quilter said...

Thanks for the link on the Amaryllis, I was wondering how to treat them, mine has juyst finished flowering. Love your deep reds.

QuiltGranma said...

When it was time to make a quilt for my brother his wife emailed me that he wanted it big enough to not need a dust ruffle, so it ended up 120x120. I will never make one that big again... famous last words! Usually mine end up around 100 x 100 since I like them to be able to be rotated on the bed so wear on the edges will be even. Most of the family has at least queen sixed beds, so that works for me. Lap quilts that I have made were not real quilts, they were printed whole cloth that I tied.