Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Amaryllis

 There seems to be an Amaryllis thing going on, so I decided to join the fun.

Around Thanksgiving my pal Julie sent me a gift certificate to White Flower Farm. I knew I'd get an Amaryllis. Actually, I bought three. This, above, is Magnum.

I had to bring it into my home office so I could enjoy it while I work. These blooms truly are big. They are 7" across and equally tall.

as you can see. The color isn't quite right in the photographs. Magnum is a very deep, very dark red.

It looks like Magnum will live up to its name. One stalk has four blooms, but the other will have six.

(You can get Amaryllis at your grocery store, but you will be lucky if you get one that has two stalks. The ones from WFF are certainly pricey but each bulb is guaranteed to have two stalks.)

This one is "Double Delicious." Indeed.

Quite lovely.

This is my third one, "Bogota." As you can see, this one is taking its sweet time.

But I am pretty sure it is going to be worth the wait.

I know how to get these to come back year after year, so they are actually an investment.


5 comments:

Mickey's Musings said...

Beautiful indeed!!
My sister got one as well and it is equally impressive.
Wishing you a Happy and FUN New Year!!!
Nancy and Julie(the black cat)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Simply spectacular.

Mystic Quilter said...

Beautiful rich reds!

ckrut said...

Would love for you to share how you get them to come back the following year. They are beautiful!

QuiltGranma said...

Yes, could you share, on the blog, how to keep these things alive? Thanks!