Saturday, December 5, 2020

The Third Bird

 

This is the third bird. I think of holiday colors as red, green and gold. So this red and gold bird really fits.  See that wing? Hold that thought.

I had thought this fabric would make a terrific box, until I realized the scale was all wrong. The box in this picture is 8-1/2" wide. There is no way that print would work on a box that size. It's just too big and the print would be cut up and nobody would know if the box was gold or white or red. And it would grab too much attention.  HOWEVER...

Students are often aghast when I tell them to cut a hole in the middle of a perfectly good piece of fabric to get a fussy cut of whatever they want. YES! I expect you to do that. Do you want a terrific bird (or whatever) or do you want an ordinary, plain one? I know which one I prefer.

Rearranging things a bit got me to this placement of the birds, and I liked it. I don't want the birds in the corners, because there is too much white space around them and the quilt would look like it had a corner chopped off. I like the way they stand in for boxes. Actually, what I like about this pattern is the rhythm of the repetition, one shape after another, but with variation in color and pattern to break it up a bit. Then the birds add a bit of sass. Of course, I needed more boxes, and you can see how I audition fabrics.

This is the kind of fabric you have to be careful with. At first glance it is red with gold, but really it is the other way around. Set on the design wall, it doesn't look as red as some of the other red boxes.

This reads as "pink" to me, and not really Christmas-y. But I was running out of options, and there is already a box in the quilt with a pinkish ribbon, and the Amaryllis print has a lot of pink in it, so I knew I could get away with it. (Translation: it would not look totally out of place.)

I found this red fabric in one of the big bins I had set aside for "other projects." DAMN!

This box was made from scraps. I only had a long too-narrow piece of this green. You can hardly tell where I sewed it up.

This fabric was in a box that was given to me over 10 years ago. I did have to piece this together, and you don't have to look too hard to see where, but I tried not to make it so obvious that it stuck out like a sore thumb. There's pink in this fabric too.

So now that I have enough blocks I have to finish working out an arrangement I like. I am not sure I am going to use the border of the original pattern (in fact, I'm sure I definitely WON'T be doing it like the pattern, but that should surprise no one).


8 comments:

Poppy Q said...

Oh I'm loving the birds with the boxes.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the third bird. Such a great selection and variety of boxes.

Ruth said...

OH! That third bird is lovely with the angel head and wing! I am delighted at the new red 'cranberry' fabric, it is so perfect. My eye keeps focusing on the "tan" box...it reads as solid to me and pulls my attention to it. These boxes are just so much fun to see! Thank you for a Christmas Quilt to watch along with.

Nann said...

Two birds is a pair....three birds is a flock? It was the tan box that bothered me. It's less intrusive up there at the top. Thanks for the notes about color/print style auditioning.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love that soft green print with the pink in it -so glad you added pink to the mix! And your holiday birds are glorious.

Julia G said...

Love the third bird. Great job! I had to look hard for where you pieced the green box fabric. I really like this fabric. The quilt looks great so far!

Lynne Nicholson said...

For your blocks with a horizontal seam have you thought of adding an extra horizontal ribbon? ( you could appliqué it on) if you did that for a few other presents it would be added interest like the birds.

I’m loving seeing this quilt coming together. I work in a controlled improv way as I’m registered blind so find the placing of blocks a little difficult/ different as I’m looking for a pleasing colour blur. 18 inches from my nose fabric is just a blur of colours, and I cannot see needle, thread, or presser foot when I’m sewing on my machine (AccuQuilt dies help me cut my fabric accurately and an old store card stuck on my machine bed helps me with my seams as I sew mostly by feel... I can see my clearest 4 inches from my nose but the text on my iPhone and iPad screens is “smudged and my sight is still deteriorating)

QuiltGranma said...

just loving this one too!