Friday, December 4, 2020

The Second Bird

 

I made a Red Christmas bird. If you look closely you will see part of an amaryllis flower, which was made into a box and is shown in yesterday's post. Also check out the legs, they are mini Christmas packages. The beak is as big as it is because I wanted that swoop.

Before I figure out how I want to arrange the blocks, I have to decide where the birds go. Once I know whey they (or one of them) will go, I will rearrange the boxes. So for the next few pictures, ignore the boxes and the prints and just look at the birds. This one, above, is way too symmetrical for me.

I like this better, where the birds aren't in the same row.

Trying to get the birds closer to each other, I stuck in a really tall narrow box. I had originally made this box for my HAPPY HOLIDAYS quilt, but here it just looks like a wall separating the two birds.

Getting rid of that box doesn't make this better. There is too much space surrounding the birds.

When I arrange the birds like this, they look like they are getting ready to duel. Not exactly Holiday-friendly.

I will figure out where I want to place the birds, and then I will rearrange the boxes. Stay tuned. I might just turn this thing on it's head!!!

I heard from my friend SewGirl.  This is her quilt, above. Hers is big enough for a king sized bed - 7 rows of 10 blocks each! And she quilted it herself on her Bernina 830. Yowsa!


If you want to make your own birds, like mine, you can get my tutorial here, at my Etsy shop. 

If you want to make free pieced letters like in my Happy Holidays quilt, I have a tutorial for making letters without paper piecing. You can get that here.


5 comments:

Nann said...

Your sharp-billed birds remind me of the Australian term for a nosy person: sticky-beak (as in, "you stick your beak into everything"). I like the two-level version, too.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the new bird. Hard decisions about placement.

Ann said...

One of the treats of making quilts is getting to arrange the blocks. Thanks for sharing your choices. Fun to share your ideas.

Julia G said...

I like the one with the birds in different rows. And I like the boxes on your design wall without the cornerstones. I just love your birds.

QuiltGranma said...

when the birds have their backs to each other it is like they are about to have a divorce! That would be no Christmas present!