Sunday, October 18, 2020

This, That, and The Other

 I haven't been in the studio for a week. I'm just kinda worn out, but I'm 99% sure I'm not the only one.


I've done some de-cluttering though, so I feel better about that. I got rid of at least a dozen cookbooks and a few pots and pans I had been storing in my shed for the last six years. If I haven't needed it in six years, I don't need it, so I brought the cookbooks and pots to Goodwill. Five years of cooking magazines are now sitting in the recycling bins outside. I started to go through them and then thought better of it. So now the cookbook bookcase is neat and organized and I don't feel stressed every time I look at it. I had put a lot of that stuff on the two ottomans I use as a coffee table, and now that is clear also. I also brought out the humidifier.

I voted, and brought my ballot to the clerk at my town hall. That was probably the most important thing I did all week.

I've been reading too. I read the new Louise Penny, All the Devils are Here, and the 9th Inspector Bruno, Fatal Pursuit. I've decided to move right into the 10th, The Templar's Last Secret.

Millie finally gave up napping on the Goose Rocks Beach quilt, and has rediscovered her heated cat cup. I was able to use my ChomChom pet hair remover to remove ALL the cat hair she had covered it with. The quilt is now ready for getting bound, you know, when I get around to it. By the way, all the five star reviews for that pet hair remover are well founded.

I've also worked out in the yard, trimming the perennials and pulling up the annuals, and putting all THAT stuff out for recycling. I've also put the snowscraper and snow brush in the car. I had to bring the car in for its six-month checkup, which seemed really silly considering it has less than 2300 miles on it, but it was a nice chance to get the heck out of the house on a sunny day and see our beautiful New England autumn foliage on the ride to the dealership.

I had to go to the office last week to pick up some supplies and was able to check out the new rug and cubicles, which are starting to be installed. No word yet on when we will be called back to the office. I am quite on the fence about it. Part of me wants it as a way to feel more normal, but a bigger part of me is more than just a little bit wary.

I think most of us have realized Thanksgiving will be unlike the ones we have shared in years past. I won't be cooking for the family, and I won't be traveling. I think we'll have a Zoom dinner. I will plan a small dinner for one, but I haven't decided if it will be turkey yet. Even a small chicken is too much for me.

The asterisk tutorial is still being edited and I am still working on adding the binding to the 58 Carats quilt.

That's the update! Take care of yourselves, stay safe, and VOTE!




8 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

Seems like you've had a heck of a busy time and your cook book declutter has me now looking at all the books on my shelf!

Mickey's Musings said...

Good to see Millie looking so happy :)
Quilting,cleaning and giving scritches...what a great life ;)
Nancy and Julie

Fabric Fanatic said...

I'm with you Lynne, in that the most important thing I did this week was to go to the Registrar of Voter's offices and vote. I did not want to go to the polls and risk my vote disappearing before it could be counted, so I voted at the place they count the votes. That's as much as I could do to make sure my vote counts, and I still am not sure.
I called them the day the ballots were mailed out, and was told that mine would arrive in 3 days max. 10 days later it still had not arrived, so I took the reins in hand and did it my way. I asked them if I could do that even though a ballot was maybe on it's way. They said yes, just to destroy the ballot. I hate that I have become a worry-wart in my senior years.

Just Ducky said...

Yay for voting. Mum says try a cornish hen, good for just one. Or like she did last year find a half duck portion in the freezer case at the store. it was 2 leg/thigh combos and was just right.

JustGail said...

I enjoyed the book case - I see quite a few I have too. I should attempt another clean out and taking to thrift, but yeah- I keep making the mistake of opening them while trying to do that. And we'll not discuss the notebooks stuffed with recipes I've clipped for 40-ish years :-O and not used. OTOH it is interesting to see how much changed in what I thought I'd make back then compares to what I think I'd make now.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Egads you have a LOT of cookbooks . . . wow. Good for you on the cleaning out and decluttering - it's a never ending process. In between and out of focus - I can handle short term specific tasks (hence the recent finishes of tops - measurable goals) but longer term and larger picture are a tad blurry right now. Stitching to help hold my election anxiety in check . . . glad Millie finally let you access Goose Rocks Beach for binding. Happy hand stitching.

Ann said...

We have been doing many of the same things. I've pulled half my plants but am letting the remainder finish blooming since it's not cold here. And I went through the cookbooks. I've been transferring my recipes to an online file and have found I enjoy using the ipad in the kitchen.
I mailed my ballot and it arrived a couple of weeks ago. As you write, that's one of the most important things I've done all year. The others are staying home and wearing a mask.
DH is still working from home. We are hoping he doesn't have to go in for a while.

Nancy said...

I am a member of the Scrap Quilt Enthusiasts Facebook group and today someone posted a picture of Lynne's Slashed Squares Quilt asking if anyone knew what the name of the pattern was. Although I haven't bought it... yet... I recognized it immediately. I drool over it fairly often.
There were over 40 comments of guesses. I double checked on your Etsy shop just to be sure and then let them know the name, your blog and where they could find it.
It is a fascinating pattern.