Thursday, May 21, 2020

Kisses & Hugs

I do not know how universal this is, but when I sign a letter with an X, I mean "kiss" and an O, I mean "hug." When I see XOXO I see "kiss, hug, kiss, hug."

This is another variation of the Zebra quilt. Imagine all the X's and O's in one color and the spaces like this, all one color in the middle and another around the edges...

Sort of like this...

See how color/value placement changes this. It's the same basic arrangement as the example above. My personal problem with this one is the eye is drawn to areas of high contrast, and the diamonds in the middle of these O's look capture your attention and look like holes. You never want to make your viewer think there is a hole in your quilt. (But hey, if it's your white rabbit, knock yourself out.)

 You could also do this, of course, but again, you gotta watch out for that great big light area in the middle. And if you make it TOO interesting, the eye will land there like a bull's eye and never go anywhere else (and that's just bad design. Don't say I didn't warn you.)

And for those of you wondering. "OMG LYNNE, ARE THOSE ALL THE SAME SCRAPS..." the answer is, quite clearly, yes.



I loved Julie's comment yesterday:
Your playing with these leftover giant triangles reminds me of playing with HSTs (but yours are on steroids).

ROFLMAO!




6 comments:

Sue said...

Will you be doing a tutorial on how to do a zebra quilt? I would be very interested if you do.

Judy P. said...

I took a quilt class where the teacher warned about giving one's quilt a "belly button". Good advice.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

BIG hugs and kiss for our uncertain times. I like this.

Mickey's Musings said...

How cool to see kisses and hugs in a quilt!!!
XOXOXO!
Nancy

Sharon said...

I like the kisses and hugs! Good points on the design pitfalls. Belly buttons on quilts are not a good thing. LOL

Lots of fun scraps to play with!

QuiltGranma said...

On Steroids, that is a good one! LOL!