Sunday, March 15, 2020

The Final Firebird & More

I replaced the border on the Firebird quilt yesterday. This is much better than the wimpy yellow that was there before. This quilt is now ready for quilting.


 I also finished the backing for the Partly Sunny quilt.

Here is the Partly Sunny quilt lying on top of the backing. It is also ready for quilting.

I made a cake yesterday. I didn't use the right decorations. I used nonpareils (or "jimmies" as they are called here in New England) instead of "sprinkles." Sprinkles keep their color when they get moist, jimmies lose it. So when I put jimmies in the cake, the dye ran and the cake looks really weird. Instead of a white cake full of colored sprinkles, it is a funny colored cake. But that is only a "cosmetic" issue. The cake tastes great.

I don't usually make a cake with frosting, but with everything going on all over the world, I wanted to make a bit of something fun, silly and totally frivolous. A cake with sprinkles inside and out (yes, I wanted to recreate the "funfetti" cake, but from scratch) checks all the boxes.

 The big surprise I mentioned last week is that I traded in my car. This is the new one. While I was at the town hall transferring the license plates the clerk asked, "Is your car white?" I said yes. "Well, it says here the color is Blizzard Pearl, and I wasn't sure." It is white, it is pearl, and I think it's pretty as hell. (The old car is beside it on the left. That one was "Brown Sugar.")


7 comments:

Nancy J said...

Wow, looks wonderful, and what a great name for the colour.

Linda Swanekamp said...

OOO-hh! A new car. Congratulations! I always used to have Tornado red cars (VW), but last year bought a charcoal gray Forester because my son desparately needed a car (gave him mine) and I was very surprised how well the Forester drove and the great visibility from inside. It was one of the few manuals left in the universe and it did not come in red or any other intersting color. At least I still have a manual. And heated seats. The border on the quilt looks great.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love the pearlized paint on cars!! That is a beauty!

Just Ducky said...

Nice new wheels. I thought your surprise might be another grand kid on the way.

Mickey's Musings said...

Liking the firebird!
As long as the cake tastes good, that's all that matter when it is for you ;)
Nice car!
Nancy and the kitties

Fabric Fanatic said...

Vroom Vroom!! Indeed. You go girl.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Good for making a from scratch fun-fetti cake with frosting (we all need a little happy right now). Sweet wheels! And two quilts ready for quilting - congrats.