Thursday, January 30, 2020

On "Perfection"

How I love my readers!

I get the best questions. In the comments on yesterday's post about the template, Gail asked if, when you are cutting the template out, should you cut the cutting line away? I would tell you to cut ON the cutting line. Then I would say to make a sample block and adjust accordingly.

This is the goal.

Frankly, I'm probably not the best person to ask. So-called "precision piecing" is not my thing. I make quilts because I enjoy making them. My bird tutorial is written without many specific dimensions because it really doesn't matter (much) and I would rather my students have success than be paranoid about the width of their seam. My free pieced birds are very forgiving, but then, there are no matching seams on the bird.

Oh look! This isn't perfect!
  I am the first person to tell you that I am not a robot. Many years ago I was given this piece of advice:
"Always leave the evidence of your hand in your work. You do not want your work to look like it was made by a machine."

I hate a lot of the "show quilts" because they are too "perfect perfect." They are so rigid and mechanical, and so precise I feel they have had the life quilted right out of them. I also remember that I make quilts because I love to do it, and I'm not going to make it stressful. Sure, I love getting it perfect, but if it isn't perfect, I'm not going to freak out about it.


Now look, I am NOT interested in being a "Show Quilter" or winning those kind of awards. I believe that the emotional impact of a work of art is FAR more important than any kind of technical perfection. This is quiltmaking. It isn't even like a piece of clothing that has to fit properly. Frankly, most people (and I mean MOST) will never notice the small imperfections I have shown above. When the quilt is finished even I will have a hard time finding them.

Check out the top of this triangle. Oops!
 But here's the important thing, and it's really important to keep this in mind:  When you give the gift of a quilt, the recipient does not care if it is an original design or if it came from a pattern or a kit. They don't care if you bought your fabric from eQuilter, or online or Jo-Ann's. They don't care if the quilt is square or slightly off. They don't care if the corners of the triangles are pointy or chopped off. They don't care if the quilting stitches are even. They don't care if the quilt was quilted by a CAD driven long arm quilter or hand guided free motion quilted. They don't care if you sewed the binding on by hand or machine, or on the front or the back.

WHAT MATTERS is that it came from YOU. It came from YOUR HANDS and YOUR HEART and has YOUR TOUCH all over it, and YOUR LOVE is deeply embedded in every square inch.

So Gail, cut the template in a way that makes sense to you, do your best to sew everything nice and straight, keep as close to a 1/4" seam allowance as you can, try to avoid stretching the long bias edges, but most of all, relax, keep calm and sew on.

It isn't brain surgery. It's not life or death.

There's the mechanical, soul-less "precision perfection", and then there's this kind of perfection:

 I know which one is more important to me.

15 comments:

earthmotherwithin said...

EVERY word of this! EVERY word!

Thank you. Our art cannot grow in the sterile demand for perfection.

You have inspired me to keep on going on the improv quilt I am making, that my family is freaked out by. Goodness!

Lisa said...

LOVE your post! I stopped striving for 'perfection' a long time ago. I quilt because I love it and while I really try to get it right I no longer rip and tear unless it's a major issue. I can't imagine telling someone, "I made you a quilt but it isn't perfect so you aren't getting it!"

Jackie said...

Oh so true, thank you for sharing this couldn’t come at a better time for me. I’ve been having some health challenges and started to resume quilting only to discover it’s not going as easily or smoothly as previously. Yesterday I thought maybe I should wait awhile and try later but after reading your post I’ll keep at it who cares about perfection.

Kathy in FL said...

My sentiments exactly! Thank you for articulating them so passionately.

JustGail said...

Thank you for the reply. I've long known I tend to over think and start down a path of making things harder than they are. How many times I've gotten a task, transformed it into a long complex process in my mind, finally asked someone and they say "all you need to do is...." Sometimes Google is NOT my friend, when it leads to so much conflicting or nonexistent answers.

All the times I've been to Kalona quilt show & sale, it's the old ones with mismatched seams and points, the odd fabric used to finish that one last block, the mixed scrap bag selections, the rumpled softness of color and quilting, that make me happiest. I probably need to keep that in mind when making my own quilts.

Love that last photo - sweet perfection indeed!

donna from canada said...

Absolutely I agree

Ruth said...

Thank you so much for showing us that even your zebra quilts aren't perfect! (And they look so perfect) I have really enjoyed seeing all of these triangle quilts. My husband has been stopped in his tracks going past my computer screen a time or two, when he has caught sight of them - the Yellow Zebras in particular.

audrey said...

Loved your post so much. THIS Kind of Perfection is the best kind, well said!:)

Joan said...

Thank you for validating every imperfect thing (all of them) I've ever made and given away.

Hudson Quebec said...

Thank you for your wise words.

Many years ago I embarked on one of those stacked triangle xmas tree quilts, but I did not have the skills. Just recently I finished it as it is now "charmingly improv" - and I can be reminded of my husband's shirts of 40 years ago!

hh

Michele in Harrisburg said...

As my dear friend always says "If someone's looking that close, they deserve a poke in the eye". Thank you for the reminder!

DebW said...

LOVE this! This is so much my heart for quilting - both as a piecer and as a longarmer. "Heart" projects are my jam! :-) Thank you for this post - I love your work!

Lauriejo said...

I love your zebra quilts, but I love this post even more. I worry so much about getting everything right on the first try, that over the years I've missed out on too much (thanks Dad).

Ann said...

What a delight to see the recipient enjoying your gift. I love getting photos of the babies on mine, too. And such a good reminder to focus on what's really important to us rather than worrying about what uninvolved strangers might think.

diane said...

Such a true, accurate and enlightening post. Have always thought that way and always will, but so much liked to hear it from someone else.