Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Dancing Diamonds

While I was at work yesterday I thought about this quilt, and how the first one reminded everybody of overlapping diamonds. Well, I wondered, I hadn't done that on purpose, but how could I do it to THIS one? Idly I wondered if making kind of concentric rings of color might do it. I was pretty sure I didn't have enough different prints to make that happen, and I don't plan to go shopping for more fabric, but I figured I'd try. I had nothing to lose, since I had a good photo of the previous layout.

So I started in the middle. Or more or less the middle, and tried to work outward. I did not move four or five diamonds, or the triangles across the top or most of the ones at the very bottom (those will be triangles, not diamonds), but I moved all the others. Many times.

I kept moving things around, and around, and around. I rummaged through my stash to find prints that were BIG so I could try them in the quilt. In this design, a fabric that is NOT A BIG BUSY PRINT just becomes a wallflower and doesn't do the design any favors. So I kept plugging.

At the end of the night I had this, and I was so brain dead I just couldn't see whether it was an improvement over yesterday or not. I think it might be.


What I found very interesting though, was looking at the thumbnail images of all the pictures of the process I had uploaded to my computer. I could see how the colors and values had moved around, and in the latest version, they actually seem more closely packed.

But even the pictures don't help. The edges get lost because you don't know where the quilt will really end, so I did a camera crop, and this is a lot closer to what the finished quilt will be.

OK, now that I see it this way, I think I'm good. There are a couple of things I want to tinker with (I mean, like, duh!), but you get the drift.




7 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, I just love the colors and values! Great job tinkering.

stitchinpenny said...

I can't tell you anything about how you played with the quilt but I can tell you I fell in love when the four light triangles went together. I hope you find what makes you ecstatic and this quilt is amazing to you!

Rebecca said...

Love the luminescence of the center... Also in awe of the verity of your stash. (not the size just the choices you have in it.) Watching you play inspires me to buy larger prints. (as if I needed more encouragement in fabric acquisition).

Nancy J said...

Sitting back from my laptop the top right corner is a beautiful frame right there.Love the finale.

lvkwilt said...

Absolutely lovely! Time well spent because it's beautiful!

Mystic Quilter said...

Stunning!!!

Jano Mom said...

I love how this turned out. Question ? What ruler did you use to cut the diamonds. Thanks 😊