Monday, September 30, 2019

I Live Here & It Affects Everything.

About a year or so ago, while I was working on the Early Autumn quilt, I wrote a post about what early autumn looked like here in New Hampshire, where I live. 

I wrote: "Seeing all these trees that border the roads is one of the things that defines northern New England. To me, it means I don't know what's up ahead, around the corner. It's always a surprise. Out west, I can see for vast distances, but I don't feel as protected as I do in New England, where I am surrounded by trees."

Later, one commenter wrote "Since you like being closed in by evergreens..." and I thought that was wrong. She seemed to feel this made me feel safe, or stifled, which wasn't it at all. The whole exchange bothered me, and I couldn't quite figure out WHY.

Stuff like that stays with me and reappears and rolls around in my head until I can really make some sense of it. I felt I had explained what I liked about the roads being bordered by trees, but clearly I hadn't.

 Yesterday I drove out to Peterborough NH, and I took "the back way," which means I didn't take the highway. The route took me through New Boston and Francestown NH, and the speed limit never got over 40 MPH. The roads looked like these pictures. There were bends and dips and curves. For much of it, I couldn't see more than a quarter mile in front of me.

Yes, I like this. I like the surprises of the twists and the turns, the bends and the dips, the hills. I like the fact that it makes a difference which season it is, because in the summer the leaves hide the houses and the barns, but in the winter, when the leaves are off the trees, I can see more.

I like that things aren't right out in the open, but that you have to really LOOK to find them. I like that it is always different, and what I see is different each time. In my quilts I reward viewers who take the time to really LOOK and find the little surprises I hide there.

A lot like the roads where I live.

7 comments:

stitchinpenny said...

As a Florida girl who lives in the land of the long leaf pine,water oaks and palm trees I can say the change of color is significant. At 55 I was introduced to fall and have one back as many falls as possible for the last 12 years. It fills me with wonder and the colors are so different from the blues greens and beachy neutrals I grew up with!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Well said; I am a New England girl by birth and I fully understand your sentiments here. "Draw me in, let my eyes search these surroundings, there are treasures to be discovered at each turn. The rewards are plentiful." Yes!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Like Debbie said! There are many back roads in my Michigan childhood that would fit perfectly with your NH views.

Mary said...

Thank for these Autumn photos. I miss seeing these colorful trees but don’t miss the next season. I lovesouthern Ca but so miss the greenery of NY. I can see that NH is similar to western NY.

Linda Schiffer said...

I think it is a special treat to travel a road like the ones your photos show! Here in Maryland, they are becoming less and less easy to find (housing is a growth industry in the Washington/Baltimore corridor). I spent my childhood in eastern KY and saw lots of those roads - in the days before the Interstate highway system.

I, too, love the surprises.

:) Linda

Mystic Quilter said...

Wish I could be travelling along these roads, beautiful scenes.

PoseySlider said...

I've always loved to see a canopy of trees meet in the middle over road or lane. It makes me feel enchanted. When I read your blog today, the blog reader showed a snippet of your previous post which included a picture of your Magic Carpet quilt. Magic Carpet looks a lot like your road pictures. It makes me feel like I'm looking down a little lane with the trees and vegetation surrounding me. Beautifully enchanting.