Friday, August 16, 2019

When It's Best to Have a Short Memory

When I sewed the binding on the Magic Carpet quilt last month, I got it sewn down on all four sides, and turned over and pinned on all four sides before I remembered I wanted to add a hanging sleeve. Bleh.

There was only one way to fix it.  Fortunately I had not done any hand sewing.

1. Figure out which was the top of the quilt.
2. Unpin the binding
3. Unsew the binding from the top of the quilt.
4. Make the hanging sleeve.


5. Sew it to the top of the quilt
6. Sew the binding on top (or do it all in one step)
7. Pin it over to the front, and then hand stitch it down on all four sides.

I'm up to step five. Woo hoo me!

And the "Short Memory" thing? It's because it's best to forget about making the mistake and just move on.

Of course I had to clean the studio before I had room to work, but hey, that's done!

2 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

We’ve all been there in one form or fashion - glad you are nearing the end of the do-over!

Linda Swanekamp said...

You are so right. Instead of repeatedly kicking myself in the pants when I make a procedure error, I should blow a whistle (mentally), call it dead, and do the right thing even if it is the dreaded ripping.