Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Flash Drives

When I teach a class or give a lecture, I bring copies of my tutorials that I have burned onto CD's to sell in case anybody wants to buy one. More and more I have been getting "My computer doesn't have a CD-ROM drive."

I have long wanted to be able to copy my tutes onto flash drives, but they aren't exactly cheap. Still though, the prices have been coming down over the years, so last week I did some searching online. I could buy them in bunches from Amazon, but the reviews said some were infected with viruses or malware, or some simply didn't work. This is one of those times where cheap is definitely not good.

I found several places to get them, but most were way too big for my needs. My tutes need to be less than 10MB to fit on Etsy or to be emailed. Most flash drives nowadays are in the Gigabyte range, which is enormous.

In the end I decided to fill out a quote form on one of the sites and was pleasantly surprised to discover I could get some drives in a reasonble size for a good price. (And no, I am not going to tell you what size or what price. It varies, and memory is a commodity so the pricing is considered "volatile" meaning it changes by the day.)

That was fun enough, but it turns out I can have them personalized. Well why not? There wasn't a whole lot of room for a logo, so in the end I just chose "The Patchery Menagerie" which is my blog name as well as my Etsy shop name. Google that and you find me, so that works.

BUT THEN... I could choose the COLOR of the drive itself.  Oh, gee darn, what do you think I picked?


 PINK!!!  Yup! I wanted something that would stand out, and hey, I'm a Girl Geek, so Pink rules.

They are currently "in production" and I don't know when they will arrive yet, but I am very very eager.

8 comments:

Nancy J said...

This is taking a Flash Drive to a whole new level.They are great!!!!

Mickey's Musings said...

Well! How cool is that :)
Nancy and the kitties

Linda Swanekamp said...

That is just a super idea. I had to buy a separte CD drive for my iMac last September.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Totally rocks!

Just Ducky said...

Very cool. The tech nerd in you has come out.

Robby said...

Great solution! And that vibrant pink will certainly stand out when one is looking for it.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

We buy a lot of the Zip drives for CAAWS when we do things like our Santa CAAWS photos. We offer the donors our Year of CAAWS slide show at the end of the year for a donation. It has been a good thing for us.

Allison said...

Oooh, Lynne, they're so cool!