Tuesday, March 5, 2019

On The Back

Since the Parade of Zebras quilt was made from stash, I made the decision to make the entire quilt from fabrics from my stash - the border, backing and binding. The border is already sewn to the quilt, and I have the binding fabric already chosen. I had to make the backing of this quilt, and backings are my least favorite thing to make. The first thing I had to do was choose the appropriate fabrics.

The big fabrics on the left were bought for a diamond quilt I never made. The colors were right, so I sewed them together. Then I decided to sew up some of the extra blocks to run down the middle of the back.

The purple fabric on the lower left is left over backing from a quilt I made last year, and the purple and blue batik like fabric at the upper left has been in my stash for over 12 years. I fell out of love with it back then, and now it's time to get it out of the stash.

Laying the quilt on top of the backing is an easy way to determine if the backing is big enough. I need to make sure there are six additional inches around all four sides of the quilt. This is big enough.

Yay!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Aha! This is my kind of backing. LOL

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Quiltdivajulie said...

Awesome scrappy back - and all from the stash. Double woot!!!