Saturday, February 9, 2019

The Flying Elvis

I do not know why, but the New England Patriots logo is called the "Flying Elvis." Yes, I bought the fabric and yes, I will make a bird out of it.

I was never much of a football fan, but after my son went away to college, it was lonely at home, so on Sundays I'd have the TV on, mostly as background noise. I'd watch the football game, because there wasn't much else. I remember the moment Drew Bledsoe got hurt and Tom Brady stepped into the game. I'd never heard of the kid. I can't remember if they won that game (don't think so), but they won lots of games after that. That was pretty cool. Before that the Patriots really sucked. Next thing you know they were winning everything in sight, and damn, that was fun. Then they went to the Super Bowl as 14 point underdogs, and won in the final minute. Yeah, I was hooked!

So after that I made sure to watch every Sunday, and I have been for the last 17 years. So there will be a Flying Elvis bird in my quilt. Dunno how, but I'll figure it out.

I've got to bring my car to the shop Saturday morning for some routine maintenance. It's going to chop up my day, so after work last night I did some errands. I got gas, got the car washed, dropped off a prescription at the pharmacy and went to the grocery store to pick up a few things.

I like to make my own vegetable and chicken stocks, and I figured I could get that done last night and save myself some time on Saturday. I made three quarts. These are 2 cup containers lined up on the front porch, cooling off. (The sixth one is in the fridge. I'll use it for risotto for dinner tonight.) They froze solid overnight, and then I put them in my freezer. That's one of the nice things about living in New England. Extra freezer space is right outside in the winter.

I'll roast a chicken later today and make stock from the bones, put the stock on the porch so the fat floats to the top and congeals, then I'll repeat the process freezing it in containers overnight. It's sweet doing it like this, because there isn't any chance anything will spill in my freezer. (and the porch is screened in, so my containers are protected.)

6 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Great way to make the most of the cold weather! Happy Flying Elvis bird making.

Robby said...

I use my uninsulated garage for cooling things like stock in the winter, if the weather is right. And yes, it's been cold enough in the garage to freeze that stock lately. It's convenient, but I really wouldn't mind if we stopped hovering in the single digits and lower for a few days.

Rebecca said...

I'm in central Oregon and this time of year I call the breezeway between my house and the garage my walk in cooler. Great for big holiday cooking and I sure miss it in the summer

Curlygaga said...

I don't see any blue in that fabric. However, I was thinking that a fabric with a bit of blue, for the bottom of the birds legs. Blue suede shoes!!
Interesting tid bit from you, I never noticed that logo before.
Enjoying reading what you have to say with my morning coffee.
Thanks.

The Selvage Fairy said...

Can't really tell scale from the pic, but beak? Or is that too obvious?

Mickey's Musings said...

Congrats to the Pats!
You are really having fun with the birds aren't you :)
Nancy and the kitties