Friday, February 15, 2019

Au Pair

Most, but not all of these fabrics are in the discard pile. Some of the ones I liked are here (like the yellows) because I needed something light and bright as contrast of the dark they were paired with.

None of the fabrics in the "discard" pile is really bad. Some of them were merely victims of "in the store it looked good, at home, not so much" or something else was just better. And some I've had so long my tastes have changed. Some I'm just tired of looking at. Some are here because I have so much, I know I won't use it all up any time soon.

Both of these were given to me because I know I'd never have bought either one of them.

However, these "fuglies" are only ugly in the eye of the beholder, and next to the right partner, ANY fabric can suddenly become beautiful. It's why I don't really have one favorite color. Any color can be made to shine and be the star of the show.

I'm also a big believer in how working with a very tight set of restrictions can really force you to get creative, and sometimes do your best work. That's what happened with my Early Autumn quilt. I thought I was making a "normal" quilt, but it turned out to be anything but.

I don't want the stash reorganization to get sidetracked, but I'm at the point with this new quilt that it won't take much to grab my attention and not let go. I love when that happens.

And I have an idea to really add some ZING to these blocks. I am eager to see if my idea pays off and looks as fun in real life as it does in my head. We shall see.

1 comment:

Linda Swanekamp said...

I love how you look at the fabric. I am learning that just about any fabric can work somewhere in context with others, but alone, I would hate. You have a great eye and mind to do this sorting and pairing.