Saturday, November 24, 2018

The New Fridge

I am really glad I bought the new refrigerator when I did. Wednesday night the old one made the groaning sound a lot louder than it had been the previous few days, and it went on for a lot longer. It was clear to me that the compressor inside was dying. 

I got a call on Thanksgiving day telling me my refrigerator would be delivered between 11 AM and 3 PM on Friday. They wanted it to be empty and unplugged when they got there. I woke up on Friday, and went out to do some groceries and put gas in the car. When I got home, I emptied the freezer into large grocery bags and put those out on the porch. It's been colder than normal for this time of year, and it was 11F outside, which was great for the frozen stuff. 

After that I removed all the condiments and things that could live without refrigeration comfortably. Next was the onions, potatoes, carrots and other root vegetables. I put that stuff in the coldest room in the house. I packed the green vegetables and put them back in the fridge, and did the same thing with the milk and other perishable liquids. When that was all done, I cleared a path between the front door and the kitchen. There's no sense in tempting fate, so I pushed the living room furniture out of the way.



At 9:30 the installers called and asked if I would be ready for my delivery in fifteen minutes. Was I glad I had emptied the fridge earlier! I quickly removed the last items, pulled it out from the wall and unplugged it. They guys showed up 15 minutes later, and made quick work of removing the old one and bringing the new one in. They were in and out of my house in less than 30 minutes!

It took me another 30 minutes to remove all the blue tape an styrofoam from the inside, then I got started putting things away.

I started putting stuff away, and then rearranged things so like items were together (mayo and mustard are together, and all the asian sauces are together.) I wasn't sure everything would fit, but of course, it did. The thing beeps if the doors have been open for too long, so I finished up there and then took a break before I tackled the freezer. I'll need to rearrange those items tomorrow.

Later I put the magnets and pictures back up. I made vegetable stock and chicken stock during the day, and each time I needed something out of the fridge, I was able to just reach in and get it right away. No more bending over and shuffling things around to get at what I need. It is SO nice!

 The house is pretty much back to normal now (I had all the papers and magnets on the dining room table) and I am really happy.



PS, the Baklava was a HIT! Everybody loved it, it wasn't too sweet and I only took four pieces home with me!

9 comments:

Megan said...

Yaaaay. I'm glad that it all went smoothly. And I was wondering about the baklava, so thanks for the feedback.

Mgean
Sydney, Australia

Quiltdivajulie said...

Hooray!!!

Robby said...

Anyone that can plan a quilt like you do can plan a field operation, never mind receiving a new appliance. So glad your old fridge held on until the replacement arrived. May you two have a long and happy life together!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That looks like a really nice refrigerator, and I am glad you were able to find a refrigerator that is even better for you than the last one!

Just Ducky said...

Looks good and it gets filled up quickly. It arrived just in time for you and all refrigerators look strange until the magnets go back on them.

Nancy J said...

Looks great, love the two doors, and all in place perfectly.

Poppy Q said...

I love the look of the new fridge.

earthmotherwithin said...

Looks great! Just in time for Christmas

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Gosh, that all went so smoothly!! I am curious as to how many cu ft the new one is. I love those double doors. I bought a new fridge before I retired and didn't look at them due to having to fit a new one in the old space. I love the room yours has.
xx, Carol