Thursday, November 22, 2018

Happy Thanksgiving

This is a pan of homemade Baklava. Specifically it is Walnut-Orange Baklava. I made it. I can't believe I've waited all my life before making some. It isn't hard, but it is fussy. And judging by the piece missing, this stuff is delicious.

Now I know what you're thinking. Traditional Baklava is so damned sweet you only need ONE piece and half the time that's more than enough. Well this stuff is different. It's not cloyingly sweet and the recipe I used asked for orange, walnuts, coriander and cardamon. (It's delicious.) I am not sure I'll ever make it again, but I'm not cooking the big bird this year, I'm a guest.

The dinner this year will be in the Boston area and I'm spending it with a friend's family. The last I heard the count was 20. Ought to be fun. Which brings me to the Baklava, not your average Thanksgiving dessert. But the family I'll be visiting changes it up every year. Each year they have a theme and this year it's "Middle Eastern." The family distributed a spreadsheet. I signed up for a dessert since almost everything else was taken.

Ergo, Baklava.

Happy Thanksgiving.

10 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a great approach - never boring and full of options! Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Have a safe drive to Boston and back and hope the weather cooperates. The Baklava looks professional. It is brave to try a new recipe when you need to take it for dinner.

Just Ducky said...

Good idea to celebrate different cuisines on Thanksgiving. Mum goes to furiends that always make duck, even when they have a dozen people, they just make more ducks.

Jeanne said...

I just happen to have a package of phyllo in the freezer and a dinner event on Saturday -- may be onto something here :) Happy Thanksgiving!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I just read through your recent posts, Millie. I love that your dad and you make a good team for household DIY chores and got your fridge...new one #2 I think, to fit. I have not even looked up homemade baklava because it always looked complicated to me. We love it but as you mention, in tiny little bits. I love how the friends change up the theme each year. Interesting!

Phyllis in Iowa said...

Your photo reminded me of the very best baklava I've ever tasted. Many years ago Jordanian student made baklava using a recipe that a Jordanian Princess had given her. The syrup was made with honey and the only spice that I remember was cinnamon. The recipe was lost during a move, but the memory and fragrance are remain.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Robby said...

This sounds like a delightful ending to that holiday meal. I have a friend who makes baklava for Christmas each year. He always gives me a piece and homemade is so different than the commercial stuff. I'm sure you've made new fans with your efforts. Happy Thanksgiving.

Mickey's Musings said...

Happy Thanksgiving from Canada!
Oh that looks so yummy!
Purrs Georgia,Julie and JJ
and Nancy

Mystic Quilter said...

Looks delicious and obviously tastes delicious and a nice change from the traditional Baklava.

suzanprincess said...

I went to a Christmas concert at the Greek Orthodox church here and was SO disappointed in the super-sweet store-bought baklava served at the dessert table afterward--I was hoping for homemade! I've been unable to find the baklava recipe given me by a Jordanian friend many years ago--it was fantastic!--so now will give this recipe a try, though I'll use brushed-on unsalted butter rather than spray oil. One hint the friend included was that either the baked pastry OR the syrup had to be hot, the other one cold; it didn't matter which as long as they were opposite, so just do what's easiest for your cooking schedule.