Sunday, September 27, 2015

A Shift and an Idea

Like these diamonds? I do too. Hold that thought....



I'm sure you remember this quilt. It's a favorite of my Mother and my Son, and pretty much anybody else who's seen it.
 
There's a story here.  I promised my niece I'd make her a quilt for her high school graduation, which will happen in June of 2016. The last time I saw her she said she liked sage green and lavender. Well those colors, though lovely, don't make for an exciting combination. I emailed her a couple of times over the summer, asking if she was sure about those colors, but I didn't hear from her. So I decided to gift her the Petals quilt.  My Mother thought it was a great idea. My son, not so much.

After a lot of back and forth, my Son and DIL asked to buy the quilt. Well, I won't take money from my son, so I said if they paid for the quilting, they could have the quilt. They agreed.


So I had to go back to the drawing board for my niece. Fortunately she had a birthday last week and I was able to chat with her. She gave me permission to make any quilt I wanted.  Whee!

I started browsing through my books for some ideas and found this in Colorific, by Pam Goecke Dinndorf. Then I started pulling fabrics.

I started getting excited about it. I had to work out some details about what kind of diamonds those were and finally decided to make them 60 degrees.


This is already fun.

 Yes, I can already tell this is going to be very cool.

3 comments:

Nancy J said...

Wow, your fabric choices are superb, and this is going to be a stunner. The other one, what a generous gift, they will treasure their own quilt so much.

Cherie in St Louis said...

What a smart son and DIL!!!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

This is going to be VERY VERY cool . . . and good for Paul and Erin for earning custody of the Petals quilt!