Sunday, February 18, 2018

Tickled Pink!


The "Tickled Pink" flimsy is complete. Yeah, I'd say this tickles my fancy but good. As it is, it measures 72" wide by 98" tall.


I have learned something about this quilt, and that is that the TINY diamonds will make or break this design. They - not the large diamonds - are the star of the show.



The colored ones determine how brightly the quilt sings, so there needs to be good contrast with the "main" color. So in this pink quilt the tiny diamonds had to be bright turquoise, blue, deep purple and bright green.


 The "background" tiny diamonds need to blend with the "main" color of the quilt, they shouldn't stick out too much, but they shouldn't be monotonous either. And they shouldn't be "dull". The most successful background prints, in my opinion, were the ones with a pink allover design on a cream background so the fabric "read" as light pink and not cream.

I am very happy with this quilt. You could say I am tickled pink!


Just a reminder that my diamond quilts are inspired by Pam Goecke Dinndorf's Harlequin Quilt. She sells a pattern for it here.

8 comments:

Nancy J said...

The bright green and darker red ( Maroon)? fit in so well, again, your eye for colour and placement tells its own wonderful story in this photo.

Pat said...

You definitely have a ful choir.

karen said...

Oh my! This is stunning! Well done!

Marie said...

You should be tickled pink - it's gorgeous! You were so right to make those tiny diamonds pink instead of white. It's a stunner!

Kathleen Heiser said...

It's gorgeous! I love the peacock blue small diamonds. They were the perfect touch.

lynn said...

I love this .It feels like a happy summer day in the garden. I'm tickled pint that you have shared it with us. Thanks Lynn (no e, always wanted one, but just plain Lynn)

Patti said...

I have watched this quilt come together and went through some times of wondering would it turn out the way you hoped. Well you certainly nailed it. I LOVE IT!! You have a great eye for what a quilt needs to make it perfect. Wish I had that kind of talent.

Cindy said...

WOW!!! What else can you say? This is a BEAUTY!!! Now I see what you meant when you took out the tiny cream diamonds. You do have amazing eye for color! Thank you for sharing the process of putting this together -I learn so much from your blog. Your generosity is much appreciated! WOW!!!!!! And I love pink!