Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Binding the Slashed Squares

This Philip Jacobs fabric I've used for the backing and binding of the Bright Slashed Squares quilt is very soft and feels so lovely.

I could have used almost any color to bind this quilt, but I didn't want to detract from all the liveliness of the colors on the surface, so I decided to use the same fabric as the binding. It should disappear.
.
Choosing a thread color to sew the the binding down was also tricky. I'm getting old enough that sewing with black thread on a dark fabric is almost impossible for me except in broad daylight (aging eyes, you see), so I used a sort of a grayish blue instead of a navy blue or dark violet. I didn't have either of those anyway - ha ha!  So now I get to sit and sew the binding on this quilt as I "watch" television.

Last night I watched "Hinterland" which seems to be in the great Brit tradition of detectives saying almost nothing and letting the almost desolate landscape speak for itself.

If you have questions about my work table, look here, and if you want to know more about why and how I do my final handsewing of the binding on the FRONT of my quilts, look here, and here, and here, and here. If you want even more details, read here. It isn't just my blindstitching skills that make the end result look invisible, it's how I sew the binding itself to the quilt in the first place that sets me up for success.  For that, read here. I know it seems like I'm beating a dead horse, but this is one of the things I get the most questions about. I am considering teaching a class in how I do it. My mom thinks it should be the subject of my next PDF tutorial.

2 comments:

Summer said...

Looking pretty ♥

DKM said...

I loved Hinterland. Give Mille a head rub from Fiona Bun and me :)