Sunday, May 29, 2016

The Blindstitch


I can't get any more detailed about my blindstitching than this photo. It shows several things:

1. How I work "inside" the edge between the binding and the quilt.
2. How I pull the thread back, and hold it between my fingers to reveal that inner area where I stitch.
3. How I insert my needle in the quilt just behind where it came out of the binding.
4. The general size of my stitches. Actually in this photo the stitch out of the binding is a bit small for me. I try to make the size of the stitches even - usually between 1/8 and 1/4 of an inch (between three to six millimeters).
5. My pins and the placement of them. These are the pins I really like, but can no longer find. They are steel pins, and very, very fine.
6. When I approach to within 1-1/2" (4 cm) of a pin, I remove it.
7. Thread color. I do all (and I mean ALL) of my piecing with a light grey thread. I'm at the point now where I'm doing all my finish binding sewing with light grey thread if the binding and the quilt are two different colors (as they are here with yellow and teal). If the quilt and binding are both white, I'll use white. If they're both black, I'll use black. Otherwise, it's grey. Light grey disappears equally well on light as well as dark fabrics.  Besides, what the hell? If my blindstitching is invisible, it doesn't matter what color I use.
8. You can click the photo, and then double click again to make the photo supersize so you can see every single tiny little detail.


11 comments:

Judy in Michigan said...

Great tutorial - thank you. My problem is that sometimes my stitches show on the front - oh wait, yours would show on the back so no problem. I will try your technique.

Pat said...

Your photo is perfect, Thank you.Years ago, and I do mean YEARS ago (like a lifetime) I made a few of my own clothes. Very simple and I usually handstitched the facings down as well as the hem, of course. I actually had a drycleaner ask me about the sewing. He was fascinated with my invisible stitches. It's been too long for me to remember exactly how I did it but it must have been fairly similar to what you do. What I've never mastered is the quilter's knot and that little trick people do to keep the needle from coming unthreaded. Very frustrating!!

The Selvage Fairy said...

Truly a picture that is worth a thousand words. And that is why you are a great teacher as well as a great craftsperson.

Valerie said...

I'm happy to see someone position the needle the same as I do. Every tutorial I see has folks somehow holding away from them. I don't know. ... I guess it depends on how you learn but they all hold theirs opposite of how you show and I do.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Excellent photo and post.

Steven said...

Pat, my needle is coming unthreaded all the time too and I use the double-stab method of the thread tail. That way there is no knot but the thread binds up against the eye and slides right through what you are sewing. I hold the tail between my thumb and pointer finger and slide the needle in and by feel between my fingers, pierce the thread. I then pull the needle through the thread far enough, grab the tail again and stab again. I then grab the tail in one hand, the needle in the other, and pull the double-stab up to the needle. Hope this makes sense.

Cheryl said...

Thank you. I will have a 95 x95 quilt to practice on very soon.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I am new to quilting...just learning and this is my first visit to your blog. Your work is amazing and I hope to learn a lot from your past and future posts. Thank you so much for blogging and sharing your knowledge and skill.
xx, Carol

Maxine said...

Great photo and tutorial. Whoever said "a picture is worth a thousand words" would certainly praise your example. Thanks so much. You may never realize how many people you have helped today.

Monty Q. Kat said...

It looks very similar to the Henson stitch, I use it to close stuffing holes in toys.

Kaja said...

This is a great post - and a very helpful photo. I am going to tweak my technique!