Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Binding the Jeweled Macnas Quilt

 

After I finished the Jeweled Macnas flimsy, I chose this teal fabric for the binding. But when I got it home I noticed something else I thought would look better,

So which one did I choose?

Yeah, that was pretty obvious.

So I made the binding, attached it to the quilt, folded it over and pinned it all around.

I sat down and started hand sewing the binding down while watching the Ladie's Final of the USTA Tennis yesterday.

Twenty minutes and forty inches later I had an epiphany.

My hand sewing binding days may be numbered. Why?

My thumb hurt. It was so bad I had to go into the kitchen and massage it with ice. I stopped drawing in pencil when that became a regular thing.

It isn't just my thumb. The muscles in my shoulder and upper back also get sore.

I've known this has been coming. Over the last couple of years I have noticed my "blind stitching" is not always so invisible, and my corners aren't as always as perfect as I'd like them to be. 

It's no surprise. I'm 72 years old and I have arthritis in my hands, shoulder and spine. I've been lucky I'm able to do what I can, but moving forward allowances will have to be made. 

I'm good with that, and I am well aware there is no shame in it. 

5 comments:

NeverBored said...

Good for you for accepting your limitations. The secret to aging well is flexibility--not in our bodies anymore, but in our thinking. We need to find new ways of doing the things we love, and be grateful that we can keep pursuing our passions !

Cherie Moore said...

Indeed! The trade off to living into our 70’s and beyond is we have to make adjustments to accommodate our physical limitations as they develop. I finally found a machine sewn binding method that gives me acceptable results.

helenreimers said...

I understand having OA also in my shoulders and spine. It seems l adjust as l go. If l can't do it one way, I'll do it another. I think you get a lot done. You inspire me to do more.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I only hand finish the binding on quilts that I feel are very special. Most of the ones I gift are machine sewn and most recipients are non-sewers that didn't even know anyone ever hand sewed the binding.

Susie H said...

That was definitely the perfect binding fabric. The physical trade-offs are worth it. Still get to do what we love!