Sunday, August 30, 2026

Size Matters

 

I've prepared about 75% of the blocks needed for the no-batting quilt for my DGD. The design wall is not nearly big enough, since this quilt needs to be about the same size as a flat sheet for a queen bed. There needs to be about six more rows added to the length....

and this piece will be added to the right side of the quilt to make it big enough. I calculated it would need about 450 pairs. I've got most of those made, so now I have to start sewing the blocks that are up on the design wall and get this going.

I'll be working on that this week pretty intensely as the pool at the Y where I go for my Arthritis Swim classes is closed this week for the annual maintenance. It's amazing how much I miss it.  Can't wait to get back in the water, exercise to oldies music and catch up with the other ladies of the class.

I don't usually make quilts this large. It veers into territory I consider "quilt wrangling" which is simply awkward to maneuver around. I'm 72 and although I can get down on my hands and knees and get back up again, it isn't as easy as it used to be and it sure isn't fun.


The reason why this quilt is so big is that it is destined to live on a bed just atop the flat sheet whenever the weather is warm  - so it substitutes for a blanket, but isn't as heavy. Therefore it needs to cover the entire bed, be long enough to tuck under the mattress at the bottom and to cover the body or bodies of whoever is sleeping in the bed.

You can see the no-batting quilt I made for myself in action in the photo above. Mine lives on the bed all the time, on top of the top bedsheet and under the blanket. In the summer I replace the wool blanket with a cotton one, and on hot nights, I toss the blanket aside.

1 comment:

Cherie Moore said...

I believe they call them summer quilts. And now I think I need to make one!