I was eager to see the fabric combinations I had planned made up into blocks. So I made one of each. I have plans to make four each of these color combinations, but I wanted to see the blocks next to each other. These are the three combinations in the last photo from yesterday's post.
These are some darker blocks I had planned to make.
I always tell my students not to get too hung up in sorting, organizing or shopping for fabrics by category. I think making categories is a bad idea because things could get "stuck" there. I found this fabric above in the Christmas section of my local LQS. The Christmas section is often a great place to look if you want reds or greens, but often you have to hunt through the store to find it. XOXO! I mean Hello! Do you not think this is a perfect fabric to include in a quilt for someone you love?
(Incidentally ALL fabric in my stash is sorted by COLOR and COLOR only.)
I needed more red blocks, so this is what I selected when I was planning all this the other night.
But then I remembered I have a big bin full of black and white scraps. Very often fabrics in this bin wasn't of sufficient quantity to make the outer edge of the blocks, but it was a perfect place to find fabrics for the centers or even the middle section.
The XOXO red became this, which I like very much...
But I found a better option for the center of this red block. I bought and used that black and white cat fabric back in 2017...?
You may have noticed a preponderance of cat fabrics in this quilt.
Because, like, duh!
2 comments:
Finding older scraps at just the right time is so satisfying. What a smart, sophisticated quilt for DGD you're designing.
Looking good! I love finding "lost treasures" and using them up in another quilt. Sweet picture of DGD with kitty!
Post a Comment