Monday, July 27, 2026

Red Again

 

My granddaughter has asked me to make her a black, red and white quilt. I'm pretty sure I know where I am going with it, so I ordered some fabric, because a basic black red and white quilt isn't very interesting. I want to make her quilt fun so I ordered some fabrics. Since the Big Red quilt bled I've been very careful in choosing dark fabrics, particularly for backings of my quilts.

But my DGD wanted RED and RED was what I wanted to give her. So when the fabrics arrived the other day, I ran them through the wash, as I always do. The color catchers that came out were the ones on the upper left in the photo above.

I ran them all through the washer AGAIN, and the color catchers came out are on the upper right of the photo. But I wasn't worried. I knew that I would soak the fabrics the way Vicki Welsh recommends in her "Save my bleeding quilt" post.

So I did that and let the fabrics soak for a full twelve hours 

The color catchers that came out after I ran the fabrics through the wash were the ones at the bottom of the top picture. Actually, the photo is very deceiving. The color catches were almost white.


When I washed the BLACK fabrics, the color catchers were quite dark, so I plan to give them the good soak as well. It will take a day or two or three before I get to that because the guys will be at my house this week to finish the small things in the bathroom and office and I have decided to have the rug in my living room removed and have LVF installed there too. 

I'm still working on the silver and pink quilt, and hope to have that top done this week. 


4 comments:

Kathy said...

And here I thought that I was the only one who washed my fabrics before using them! And Vicki's soak method has saved me soooo many times! Looking forward to a FUN black/white/red quilt!

Cherie Moore said...

Since you are replacing your living room carpet, I’m guessing you love the LVT. We only have one remaining room, the guest room, with carpet. I recently had a pink fabric bleed, which I don’t usually experience.

Quiltdivajulie said...

So glad that you're doing the living room. To Kathy, I wash all of my fabrics before they go into the stash. No sense taking chances on bleeding if I don't have to.

Mari said...

Red and black-- a cardinal quilt! Can't wait to see what you come up with for your granddaughter. And you will never regret renoving the carpet in your living room. Smart decision.