Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Knowing When It's Time to Stop (for the day)

 

I started sewing this together on Saturday, but didn't get much done. Sunday morning I got up and went right into the studio after breakfast and worked till noon. Then I had lunch and went back. I completed the big area outlined in red in the center. 

After a break of dealing with the bills, I went back into the studio and worked on the area at the top in the center. I wanted to finish that whole section before I stopped for the day but about 4:30 I took a bathroom break and realized my shoulders were hurting. I went back into the studio and looked at it. Nope. I was tired. The last thing I need is to fall off the ladder and hurt myself.

At my age I have to listen to my body. It was time to stop. I put my tools away, turned off the lights and went into the living room to read.

Since I cannot get the entire design up on the design wall I can't sew it together using the webbing technique. Which is fine with me as I have a love/hate relationship with it anyway. So I have been sewing it together the old fashioned way. A pair of blocks at a time. Which is still problematic because the design shifts. When I was working on the center section on Saturday I had to unsew pairs of blocks FIVE different times because I kept sewing the pieces together wrong. That was when I knew it was time to stop that day. (I made a visit to my local art museum instead.)

The next day I moved blocks from the top of the design to my ironing table and worked on one section at a time. This is the section at the upper left.

By the end of Monday I had this. The top left part is in two big chunks. The top right needs six more columns to the right. The blank area is what I am working on now. I am really happy with it.