Monday, August 19, 2024

The Beige Quilt

  I am making a beige quilt.

Yes, you heard that right.

You all know how much I dislike beige. But when someone you love says she is a "no-color kind of girl," you honor that.

I am making a quilt for my cousin Deb, who lives nearby. When I called her and asked her about her colors, I knew her colors were low-key, but I was surprised when she said "no-color."

"My living room sofa is cream and I have black and white throw pillows. Come over and look around." We made plans to get together in a few days. In the meantime I had to do some thinking. I knew I would be able to figure it out, and I knew I could make it beautiful, I just didn't know what I would do.

It took me about five days before I figured it out.


I decided to make "Crossroads" from Amy Walsh & Janine Burke's book Colorful Quilts for Fabric Lovers.

The quilt has six inch blocks with a thin insert in each. There are three blocks, one divided in half, one with the strip close to the edge, and one 2/3 of the way through. The basic blocks would be various creams, and the inserted strips would be darker blues, greens and other dark values. I went through my stash and pulled fabrics and brought them with me when I visited Deb.

She loved the idea, so I went home and started cutting fabrics.

The light fabrics are in the first photo, above. The colored insert strips are in the photo above.

I started sewing the blocks together. It didn't take long.

I threw some of the early blocks on the wall to see how it was going to look. I knew I wouldn't know for sure until I could see all the blocks on the wall.

It isn't "me" but I know I can make it look great.




3 comments:

Nancy J said...

I wouldn't know where to start with beige, or orange or brown for that matter. But you will have this nailed to be SO beautiful.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Actually, aside from the beige itself, this IS you. Simple but elegant with a gorgeous curated assortment of fabrics.

Cherie Moore said...

A challenge! It will be beautiful…..can’t wait to see this one come together.