Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Updates

 The birthday party was a wild success. The food was terrific, and the company was great. Alas, there were  no photographs. We were all too busy enjoying ourselves.

It's so much fun when you gather your friends together, and even though they may never have met each other, they all get along and have a good time. That's what happened. Instead of cake, I made red velvet cupcakes. They were delicious. I got some nifty gifts (which I didn't ask for) and some positively HYSTERICAL birthday cards. It was great.


My friend Janet-Lee, who does the longarm quilting on my quilts came and brought some custom decorated cookies. ("Too stinkin' cute!" somebody said.) 


She also brought the Scribble Scrabble quilt, which was tricky for a bit because M's wife, N, was attending the party. (M was traveling for work.)

N was talking about the quilts my grandmother made for all us kids. This seemed like quite the lead-in, so I brought out the Scribble Scrabble quilt, told the story and presented it to N, who was appropriately gob-smacked. I have to put the binding on it, and then it will go live with M & N.

My boss also came, and I showed him the office and remarked that I would soon be returning the WFH computer equipment back to the office. "Well, you should hang on to it. We're going to be needing you and this way you can work from home." So I did a bit of rearranging. I moved the big monitor to the corner so it would be available but not in the way. It really opened up the room and I can still work in it easily with my own laptop. Normally I write the blog from the couch, but working on a desk, with a great view, and the TV close by, is pretty cool.

I know I am going to love being retired. 

6 comments:

Nancy J said...

You will so enjoy not having to work to a timetable, rush out the door at a given time, be able to do shopping, laundry and housework!! at your own pace, and what a party. Another lot of wishes for that day and all future fun at home.

Ruth said...

That is one fancy, gorgeous Happy Birthday balloon!! I've never seen one like that, very cool! Thank you so much for sharing your party with us. Good luck with your company still "needing you" and leaving that enormous printer in your home office. What a great birthday!

Cherie Moore said...

So happy your party was wonderful and contained some surprises. How awesome you boss said to keep your at home set up and gifting a quilt, such a fun thing to be able to as well. Cheers and happy birthday!!!!

JustGail said...

Sooo...boss said to keep the equipment because they're going to need you?! He made plans that you'll be working on contract after you retire? I hope he cleared that with you already, not sprung it on you during the party.

Anyway, late Happy Birthday! I'm glad the party was a success. And that N. loves the quilt. And those cookies - sweet in more ways than the sugar they contain.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Sounds like it was a VERY GOOD DAY - which you richly deserve. Like the new office set up, too. How wonderful to have been able to present Scribble Scrabble in the midst of all the other fun.

Sam said...

I love giving gifts to others on my birthday. It's so rewarding and not expected.