Saturday, May 11, 2024

Awash in a Sea of Blue, Quilted

 

I picked up the Awash in a Sea of Blue quilt yesterday. It is now in the binding stage. I wanted this quilt to remind you of water, so the quilting had to reflect that. The pattern is called Catching Waves with Bubbles, which was perfect. 

After we chose the pattern, Janet-Lee and I turned our attention to what color the quilting thread should be. GREEN popped into my head.

Janet-Lee looked at me. "Really?"

"Green is the color of the ocean when you're standing in it and the waves are crashing around you." 

J-L picked a light, celery green. "Not that one," I said, reaching over to pick a darker sage-y green. "Something like this." I really hadn't given it a lot of thought. GREEN had popped into my head, and out of my mouth immediately. But I have learned that my gut instinct is often right, so I went with it. 

We settled on a green thread (Sage Green). As you can see, it came out terrific.

"I always check after I've quilted a couple of rows to see if it's going to be OK," Janet-Lee told me. "I was especially curious about this one. I mean, GREEN! But I looked at it after it had quilted about six inches and, damn, you were right."

It even looked beautiful on the panel on the back of the quilt.


All that's left now is to sew the binding.


1 comment:

Nancy J said...

Green in that shade is the perfect colour, those blocks and the wavy lines make this a stunner all over, hope it is used or on show every day.