Saturday, April 6, 2024

A New Tutorial in Progress

I'm working on a new tutorial.

It's based on the ideas from Seminole patchwork, which I have always loved.


While these elements certainly can be used in quilts of any size, they can easily be adapted as decorative elements on dresses, skirts, tote bags, pockets, pillows, potholders, table runners and placemats, pants and blouses. The photo above is a small tote bag I used to carry my tools around when I worked in IT. The patchwork above was on the pocket. I figured if I was going to carry a toolbag around all the time it was going to be pretty*.

The rows of on point squares in my sampler quilt, Letters From Home, were made using this technique.

Stay tuned!






*True story: somebody asked me once why I would bother to spend so much time MAKING a small tote bag when I could easily BUY one for much less time and effort. "WHY would I want to spend money on something UGLY," I asked her, "when I can MAKE something BEAUTIFUL?"





3 comments:

Nancy J said...

Make it, use it, wear it, love it till it falls to pieces, a lovely bag is so much better than store bought. The new tutorial looks like fun.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Why be ordinary when you can be extraordinary?

Sue said...

I, too, fell in love with Seminole strips when I was introduced to them early in my quilting lessons. They were set onto the cuffs and back yoke of the first quilted jacket I made. I especially like the pink zigzags on your work bag. (I’ve wondered what you were up to back there this week.)