Thursday, March 14, 2024

One Two Three Four...

 


Sewing the blocks together is a kind of a precise thing. I start at the right side of the quilt, and then place the right side triangle over the blue one, and then set it down. Then I move to the next block, and do the same thing. All the way to the end of the row.

My stack looks like this. Next I pin the two pieces together, keeping the sequence the same. Then I sew them, stack them, and then press them in that same sequence. Then I square them up,

and pin them together (same sequence), being careful not to flip the blocks over.

Then I press them, seams open.

After I have two rows done, I sew them together. Then on to the next two rows. Then I sewed the two two row pieces together into a four row segment. The photo above shows two four row segments sewn together, (at the bottom). I'm working my way through this each evening.

Complicated quilts can be really cool, but there's something lovely and hypnotizing about one block repeated over and over.

In this particular layout, it's very important the blocks line up at the corners so the points match and the blue and white shapes are crisp and distinct.



3 comments:

Cherie Moore said...

I can not, for the life of me keep blocks in order the way you do. It’s frustrating that I can’t keep them in order and have resorted to Julie’s paper plate method…with numbers! Do what we have to do, right? Third row from top fourth in from right just jumped out at me…….it looks small but I can’t tell if it’s just covered….. This quilt is going to be a stunner with gentle movement, like a peaceful body of water.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I am totally in agreement about the rhythmic, peaceful feeling that comes from a repeated block quilt, particularly when the colors are in the same range like this one.

Georgett said...

Peaceful Waters……sounds like a good name for a quilt. A real work of art!