Monday, April 3, 2023

Yakkety Yak - the flimsy!


 Putting this quilt together has been really challenging. Every seam requires a lot of thought, and sometimes it changes that I thought I was going to do. Like this bird with the really long legs, above. I -thought- I knew just what I was going to do, but it didn't seem to work.

I ended up chopping them off and adding two tiny birds in their place.

There are only three set in squares in the quilt, but there where I lot of places where there were "T" seams  where things got added to something else.


I have to straighten out the sides, but I worked all day on this on Sunday and I was just wiped out. It's about 66" x 80".

Naturally, things got moved around in order to sew it up. I didn't take any birds apart, but I did remove a lot of the strips above the bird heads several times. Several birds got shorter (legs got trimmed) and one bird got a smaller beak. The littlest birds are 3" tall (excuse me, short).




You too can make birds like these using my tutorial available at my Etsy shop, here. They are a lot of fun.




9 comments:

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Such a fabulous quilt. I've enjoyed watching your progress.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I just love all of the little birds mixed into this one and of course I love PINK! Spectacular finish!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Quilts like this are beautiful, but exhausting in decisions and repositioning and redoing. Looks like a terrifc solution to the whole flock of gabby birds.

Shepherdess55 said...

I like how this quilt is ending up. Will it have a one fabric border or a pieced border?

Ruth said...

I love the "randomness" of all these birds. So many different viewpoints. Thank you for persevering.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

As a bird lover, this work of yours is beautiful to me. Adore it!

Meredith said...

This quilt is wonderful! Great name, too. Congratulations on this finish.

Raewyn said...

I love it! I do have the pattern and am thinking that making some birds could be a fun winter project for me (southern hemisphere here). I know I could easily do a whole quilt of reds!

Speclked Hen said...

I love your birds. Just started making them. They are not as easy as I expected. But I'm so enjoying the process and getting better.