Sunday, April 9, 2023

From One Thing to Another...

 

These are some of the greens for the new green quilt. As you can see, I have set out the dark green fabric strips over the lighter green to see how it might work together.

I had thought that these two would work, but as you can see, this pair don't bring out the best in each other, the way the pair at the top photo do. This is why you have to put things next to each other and try them out
These are a couple of samples I've sewn together to see how it's going to look. I have several fabrics on order, so I can't really get started until those arrive. I thought to myself, DAMN! I don't want to wait. Then I looked over at my worktable and saw lots of PINK fabrics....


I bet you can see where this is going.

(What? You never associated a humpback whale with the color pink?) The photo above shows something I always do when I make a Zebra quilt. I try to sew the fabrics together in such a way that the alternate strips keep the pattern on the fabric going. You can see it in the whales above,

And also in the lighter fabric above. I think this helps the design flow because your eye connects the shapes and continues the design. In other words, it LOOKS right.


So here are some pink ladies dancing. (Maybe that's a quilt title?)




So this is a Zebra quilt, and you can get a tutorial here on how to make it. You can see more examples of my Zebra quilts here.









5 comments:

Nancy J said...

Pink Ladies? I have Naked Ladies, yes they are pink, in the garden. Why wait for the new fabric to arrive, the pinks are first in the queue.

Michele in Harrisburg said...

Pink or green. Both are a feast for the eyes!

Linda Swanekamp said...

My Zebra quilt just got donated last week to a friend whose house was severely damaged by a power outage that allowed her baseboard water heat to freeze and burst and ruin all her floors and lower walls. She has been living in a hotel since Christmas due to a shortage of contractors to do her floors and drywall. She just loved the quilt and says she can feel the comfort.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Two more beauties in the making.

Mystic Quilter said...

The fabrics you're showing us here are stunning! I've always loved seeing your zebra quilts and I think it's time I got my hands on the tutorial.