Monday, February 20, 2023

Who's IN and Who's OUT?

 We all remember high school, where it was pretty clear which kids were the IT kids, and who weren't. Today I have one of each.

Last weekend I had dinner with my friend Pam, and afterwards she looked at my pink birds and then admired the fabrics on my worktable (see photo below). This one, she said, picking up the dark fabric in the bird above, "this is an outsider. and this..." - she picked up the black and white op-art fabric that became the beak, 

"well if THIS isn't and outcast, I don't know what is!"



This bird clearly ISN'T an outcast. She's one of the "clique" and she knows it. (See that EYE? She's checking out everybody else, to see who stacks up and who doesn't.

High school could be a very miserable place. 

My worktable, strewn with pink fabrics, and lots of scraps.




You too can make birds like this. Or different. You can make them bigger or smaller, or fatter or skinny. You can make birds based on your friends, or family members. You can even make birds based on your coworkers (how dangerous is that?) You don't need traditional patterns or templates, and they are definitely NOT paper-pieced. You can get my tutorial here, at my Etsy shop. It's an instant download, so you can get started right away, (Did I tell you it's very scrap friendly?)






PSA: I had a colonoscopy a couple of weeks ago. My dad died with a tumor in his colon. My aunt died of colon cancer. I had one polyp removed, and it was the kind that could have become cancerous. But we caught it. I'll go back for another colonoscopy in five years. When it comes time for you to get tested, do it.


1 comment:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love the contrast in the birds' attitudes today! And hooray for good news from the colonoscopy (I am also an advocate for being tested regularly - my mom had colon cancer).