Monday, February 13, 2023

The Shy Kid

 

This is not a kid bird. I made this bird last April as part of the pink bird project. I really like this one. I made it with the last bit of the wing fabric I had and did not think I could make a smaller, related bird. As I was making the bird families I was thinking that some kids are really shy, wallflowers almost, and that I should make a shy bird.

So I poked around, and thought about which fabrics I would use for a bird who essentially wanted to disappear into the background, and decided to use this creamy fabric with small pinkish diamonds. I was lucky to find a small pinkish flower about the right size for the body. Since the bird had to be related to the other bird, I wanted the beak to be about the same shape (since we can't change how we look like our parents), but I didn't want it as dark. I got lucky with the legs, finding a light brown fabric that seemed connected to the legs on the larger bird. 

While these two birds share none of the same fabrics, they are clearly related. I do not think I will place them too close together in the finished layout.




You too can make these birds. They are made without templates or traditional patterns and they are not paper-pieced. You can get my tutorial here, at my Etsy shop, that will guide you every step of the way.

1 comment:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Good idea excellently executed.