Friday, February 24, 2023

Friday's Bird and an Excuse

 

Sometimes I walk into the studio and look down at the fabrics scattered all over my worktable and the idea for a bird just jumps up at me. So it was with this tiny bird. I don't know anything about this kid. Yet.

You all know I read. I mean, I do a lot of reading. I suck down at least one book a week, if not more. I always have a book with me. 

True story:

Years and years ago (over 20) I was sitting in the company's cafeteria, eating my lunch, while reading a book. It's what I did every day. This was back when eating at your desk was forbidden. At one end of the table was the Mark, the CEO, who read the Wall Street Journal every day. It was normally the quiet table. 

So anyway, I'm reading whatever mystery or detective novel I was into and one of the mechanics sits down and starts eating and chatting. Finally he says, "Hey Lynne, when are you ever going to finish that book?"

I looked up, but before I could even formulate a thought, Mark says, "What are you talking about Norm? That's her third one this week."

My head practically exploded. I didn't know what was more astounding, the fact that the CEO noticed I was reading a different book, or that he had COUNTED them.

I still read a book at lunchtime.

Anyway, occasionally I get so sucked into a book I come home from work, have dinner, and then lie on the couch and read until I finish the book or it's time for me to go to bed.

Such it was the last couple of nights while I read "The Writing Retreat" by Julia Bartz. It was not quite the thing I usually read except I couldn't put it down.


5 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the little feathered friend today.

Just Ducky said...

Oh noes, mum has gone and put the book on her list. The list that never seems to get shorter!

Some people are observant, even the CEO!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I totally believe your CEO noticed . . . those who read the WSJ tend to be one of two types (based on my law office experience) - oblivious or keenly aware.

Florence Evans said...

Wow! CEO's like that don't exist anymore . . .

Rootie said...

Making bluebird into a family tree would be wonderful.