Sunday, October 16, 2022

This and That and That and That

 I confess I have been spending a lot of my time lately lying on the couch, reading. But I haven't been a total sloth.

The last of my blue and yellow fabric arrived, and it has been washed, ironed and cut into the strips I need for my next project. I hope to be sewing later today.

I'm going to make a wonky rail fence quilt, from Sujata Shah's book Cultural Fusion Quilts.

Earlier this year I was walking through the house in the middle of the night and I tripped on something and fell. I knew where I was and what was where, but that could have been bad. In my trips to the hardware store I discovered small motion sensitive lights, and have since installed them in strategic places around the house. Now no midnight trips to the bathroom or anywhere else in the house will be made in total darkness. I've also installed a couple in some of my kitchen cabinets so their contents are no longer in the dark. These also mean I no longer have to leave a light on all day so I won't walk into a darkened room.

Flowers are nice, but watching them wither and die isn't much fun. Since the guest bathroom is filled with light (but not direct sunlight) I decided to buy these small succulents. They satisfy my desire for plants in that room and fill the corner in an interesting way.

I have tried to bring stuff to Goodwill twice in the last four weeks and been stymied each time. The fist time the place was roped off and there were no less than SEVEN police cars with their lights flashing nearby. Turns out there was a bomb threat. I'm just speechless. Who would do that? The world has become a very scary place. I went by again yesterday and the drop off was closed. I'm hoping to make a return trip later today. I still have lots more stuff to donate.

I went clothes shopping. The last time I bought clothes in a store was in 2019. Since then I've bought a couple of pairs of jeans and some nightgowns, but I really needed things, so I made a list. I bought turtleneck shirts, pull over and cardigan sweaters, and some tops. Everything was on sale so I was a very happy camper.

After days of phone tag, I finally have an appointment for a colonoscopy. It's in February. (sigh)

Lastly, I went to the Apple Store. My iPad is over six years old and is showing signs of age. I wanted to update it. While there I talked about possibly getting a slightly more robust one than the one I have now, but using it to replace my Windows laptop. I'm paying for backup software, antivirus software, security software as well as other applications. All those costs go away if I make the switch to Apple. So I am considering it.

And I'm trying to get rid of Comcast.

 






11 comments:

Poppy Q said...

Good on you for making sensible changes Lynne. I have a little night light on on my bathroom that only switches on at night, for the same reason. Im also going to get some solar lights for poppy who goes out into the garden to do her business.

Just Ducky said...

Mum says laying on the couch reading is a good thing! We have too many naybors with outside lights. The inside of our house is never really dark.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think I need some of those motion sensor lights. I especially need one one on the stairway to the basement because I hate to turn on the lights for just a quick trip down and back up.
Reading is a great escape. It's right up there with meditation.

Nancy J said...

Our daughter has the latest iPad Pro, down here. A keyboard, pencil, fold up case that turns into a stand, so well worth the cash. And no need for all those extras you now pay for, go and get the best you can find.!!! Transferring date is a breeze too. Night lights, they are so handy.

Joye with an e said...

I would be willing to give you my December colonoscopy appointment, but we don't live close enough. Guess I have to keep it, drat!

MissPat said...

Those blues are electric, especially the one on the right. I'm going to look for the motion-activated lights.

Mystic Quilter said...

Yes, Apple has everything you mention already installed. I've had Apple computers, iPad and iPhones for many, many years and never had any problems. Well worth the switch I would think.

Hubblebird said...

I was tossing up whether to replace my iPad ormy laptop. My son, who is very knowledgeable about these things, recommended a new laptop, but a smaller one, that comes with all the software installed by Google. It includes regular updates for security and no more waiting ages while Microsoft does updates that completely shut down my operations. It's an ASUS CX1 15.6" full HD (64GB) Intel Celeron that does everything. I got it for AUD$499. I love it. The 15.6" screen is much better for browsing and reading all the blogs I read, plus it is very light and hardly bigger than the iPad.

Ruth said...

Here in Maryland, the Goodwill stores had to close the drop-off/receiving areas every Monday and Tuesday because they had to process so many items. It's been like this for at a least a year already. I guess people have been cleaning out their homes and storage units while COVID has kept them home.
I hate walking into dark rooms in the evening, too. Those lights are a smart solution!

abelian said...

Later this month, Apple will release a new model of the iPad Pro, so you might want to wait a bit to see what it’s like. The other iPads will likely be reduced in price at that time. Dot

Ellen T. said...

We have those motion lights at several places around the house; they are great!
I'm trying to get rid of Comcast too; they are a monopoly in our area.