Thursday, June 2, 2022

Sneak Peek

It's a good thing I'm kind of a skeptic. I read the instructions on how to install the mirror, and marked up the wall where it would go. But when I looked at the back of the mirror, it didn't make any sense. So I measured the back of the mirror down to the bottom of where the support bracket (shown screwed to the wall) would be. 

Good thing. If I had followed the instructions, the mirror would not have looked good at all  - it would have been about four inches higher than I wanted it to go.

An aside, and a true story: When I graduated from college I got a job at an Art Supply store and worked as a professional picture framer. We had a wall mounted mat cutter, which was a real sweet piece of engineering. I figured it out right off the bat. There were instructions on how to cut a multi-opening mat. Me being me I planned a mat with FORTY openings. I cut it twice before I got it perfect. But I had read and re-read the directions the manufacturer (a small company) had written. I met the guy at a trade show and told him about my 40 opening mat. "You're brave," he told me. "Most people don't cut multi-opening mats with my cutter."

 "Well that's because you made a math error in your instructions," I told him, "and then that compounded itself over and over. I'll send you the corrections I made."

I don't know if that experience taught me to use my own brain if written instructions didn't make sense, but so many instructions nowadays are poorly written.

 

Anyway. I hung the mirror.

And looking at this picture made me realize I have to paint THAT side of the door as well, since it is CLEARLY cream and looks kinds funny.

So here's a sneak peek into the almost finished bathroom. Only finishing touches (aside from the shower doors) remain.

To say I am pleased is a gross understatement. I am positively over the freaking moon about it. I wanted something classic, and elegant. I envisioned a small jewel box. I think that's what I have.

 

OK, one more thing. I returned the extra roll of wallpaper. The gal behind the counter was one of those know-it-alls, jaded and frustrated with the world. I waited patiently while she took care of some minor disaster. She handled my return without issue, and then looked at the roll of wallpaper.

"Is this wallpaper" she asked, somewhat disbelievingly?

I nodded.

"It's so PRETTY," she said, eyes widening.

"Let me show you some pictures," I said, bringing out my phone.

"OMIGOSH, It's BEAUTIFUL!"

Yeah.


 

13 comments:

Nancy J said...

Love your new bathroom!!!!!And the mirror, perfect placing,.

Ruth said...

Your bathroom is just Wonderful!! That mirror is hung just right! It is truly a "Jewel Box."

Lizzie said...

Lovely and fits you to a T!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Great you got to educate the clerk, maybe you opened her horizons. It does look elegant. Congratulations!

NeverBored said...

Lovely remodel of your bathroom! So classy!

I couldn't agree with you more about poorly written instructions. I think often they were written in another language and poorly translated. Having an analytical and mathematically inclined mind, I do better looking at a picture and figuring out my own instructions. (Even or especially with quilt pattern instructions--but yours are the exception: Perfectly written and illustrated, easy to follow. )

Ruth said...

No need to paint the outside of the bathroom door. No one will see it from the inside.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Isn't it fun (satisfying) when the vision in your head becomes reality?! Congrats for keeping up with the many details to bring this to near-completion. The remaining to-do items will be taken care of, I have no doubt.

JustGail said...

I suspect the bad instructions are written in other language, and run through a translator program with no review. No double checking of numbers and math. Did the mat cutter dude incorporate your correction in the instructions?
Your bathroom looks great, even with the door color. Actually I think it picks up the gold in the wallpaper. Question - if you do paint the door on that side too, where do you stop? Will it bother you that there's a white door with cream trim in the hall?

Susan said...

actually, I think the other side of the door matches the mat on the picture. Most of the time, I assume, the door would be closed.

Mari said...

Congratulations on the finished home improvement! It always feels great to cross those off the list. It turned out wonderful, poor instructions and all. I actually prefer the Ikea pictures. At least they sometimes make sense! Enjoy that shower!

sandi s said...

It is beautiful! Hugs,

earthmotherwithin said...

Your bathroom is amazingly beautiful. Congratulations. And well done for using your brain on the mirror placement -how frustrating to find they would have led you astray if followed exactly.

Jeannine said...

Lovely. When I saw it I thought "it looks so elegant - it looks like a spa".