Sunday, February 20, 2022

Long Distance Cooking

 

A week or so ago my DIL sent me this picture. My GRANDDAUGHTER made this "overnight bread" from a cookbook I sent her for kids aged 4+. 

My granddaughter is FIVE! I was impressed as hell. I didn't make my first loaf of yeast bread until I was in my twenties.

So I did what any good grandmother would do. I went shopping. A set of bowls, measuring cups, measuring spoon, a liquid measuring cup, some kid sized cooking tools (in pink), child safe knifes, a small cutting board, cooky scoop, timer, kid sized potholders, and instant read thermometer, cake testers, dish towels, wooden spoons, microplane grater, vegetable peeler, bench scraper and a couple more kids cookbooks went flying across the country to my DGD.

And yes, a custom embroidered apron with a PINK dinosaur and my DGD's name is being made (thank you Etsy) and will be flying to DGD this week.

Of course I went over the top. I'm a grandmother. That's my job.

That it enabled a long-distance cooking session was just frosting on the proverbial cake. Yes, DGD and I made the same thing at the same time. I was able to walk her through every step of the recipe and told her how to do it all. As you can see she did a great job. We made almond butter energy balls with coconut and mini chocolate chips. Next up we'll be making muffins. We had a great time.

It sure did wonders for my mood.

21 comments:

Kathy E. said...

What a wonderful experience! I'm not sure exactly who enjoyed it more...your DGG or you! Having all those tools to call her own will certainly entice her to experiment more and will encourage reading, measuring, trying new ingredients, and zooming with Grandma! So cool...you are the best!

Nancy J said...

Technology means that today we can see across the country, and share in this "make a cake together" journey.What a wonderful way to share with your granddaughter, and all those goodies will encourage her even more.

Peggy said...

How very sweet❤️

SandraB said...

would love to have your recipe.

stitchinpenny said...

Happy youhad this to brightener day.

Lynn said...

Reading your entry today made me smile!! I've cooked long distance with my Milwaukee grand daughter and it was great fun! I'm glad you had something fun and entertaining to cheer you on!

Megan said...

That is a sensational looking loaf of bread, isn't it?

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Quiltdivajulie said...

What is the name of the first cookbook you sent to Little Miss? That bread looks fabulous (and delicious). You are an AWESOME grandmother!!

loulee said...

What a fantastic way to spend a day. Memories I'm sure you will both treasure.

Linda Swanekamp said...

My granddaughter loves to bake, ever since she was tiny and will shortly be 10. I made her an apron from fabric she picked out. She has her own tools here- bright colored ones. I got her a baking book-The Complete baking book for young chefs from America's Test Kitchen. She used post it notes to mark what she wanted to do. We have been chipping away at it. Her mom does not cook at all, so she does it here. Incredibly grateful.

Elle said...

OMG what a fabulous thing to do together Grandma. Facetime/Zoom are wonderful!!!!!

And the memories you are making with her are priceless!

Mickey's Musings said...

Very impressive. She'll be a pro by the time she's 6 ;)

Ruth said...

What a wonderful hobby to share with your family!! Two households got fed with fun and food. Delicious!

Just Ducky said...

The bread look fabulous, hope it tasted as good as it looks. I don't think I did much other than cookies or quick breads when I was a kid. Certainly not bread.

O'Quilts said...

wonderful!!!! Just what you needed and loved xo

Janet said...

What a wonderful experience! You have inspired me to try FaceTime baking with my granddaughter who is about the same age as yours. Thank you for sharing.

Buffy said...

What a talented, precious young lady she is! That bread looks amazing! And I love that you are able to bake together from a distance, sharing tips, tasting the results, discussing your next projects. What a wonderful gift for both of you and so much fun!!

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

THat is a wonderful cooking experience. Good Job, Grandmother and GGD

MAKingsley said...

Good job Grammy! It's hard when the littles are far away.

Cindy said...

What a doll!!!!! And that bread is AMAZING! I have never made yeast bread in my life! Now I would like the recipe for the energy balls you were making....that is more my speed! I have cooked with my niece since she was tiny and I still enjoy it so much!!!! What memories you are creating!

QuiltGranma said...

I've watched making that kind of bread on Netflix, and that part that sticks up, the ear, had to have a very sharp blade cut it in the top. So Mommy helped! I've never made that kind of bread, I think it takes more room than I have here in my little home. Good for her!