Sunday, December 19, 2021

Inspiration Is A Funny Thing

Way back in August I was playing with some scrap slab triangles, but they didn't really go anywhere, so I put them away.

On my way back from getting my car's 15,000 mile maintenance I swung by my sister's house to pick up the ham we'll all be eating for dinner on Christmas. My sister got stuck on an emergency call from her work, so I waited on the couch.     

Turns out she got a new couch a couple of weeks ago. The last one was red, so the Firebird quilt fit perfectly. On this couch, not so much. I actually went out to the car to get the Allegretto quilt I had been working on while I waited for my car. I put it on the couch, and stepped back. "Nope." It just didn't fit.

I walked around her house. We both have a lot of original artwork hanging on the walls and since we are sisters, we have a lot of my mother's artwork, but she also has some of my work too. This is a painting I did almost forty years ago.

Immediately I knew where I wanted to go with a new quilt for her couch.

This isn't all my blocks, and is by no means a finished idea, but I definitely plan to separate the colors with the lighter white or cream side triangles, connecting them visually to the towel in the painting above.

As usual, this idea isn't carved in stone, and the idea may change quite a lot by the time I'm done, but I like this, and I'm excited to move forward with this. I have a lot of blocks to play with, and I will need to make more blocks, because right now I don't love the green ones on the upper left, but I'm excited to get into the studio to work, and that is the best thing.


5 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a great inspiration story!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Wow, I love when it just jells and tells you what to do. It is going to look great.

sandi s said...

I love the painting that you did! It is magnificent!! Hugs,

Janet said...

Your talent awes and inspires me. I don’t know if I envy your quilt or the “towel” artwork more. The towel is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing.

Rtrittel said...

This is fantastic - I love everything you showed - the painting, the quilts! I look forward to seeing you progress on the new quilt. What a lucky sister!!