Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Christmas in the Bathroom

 Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts about Millie. They are all very much appreciated. It's all I can do to keep from crying. I have to remember that Millie has brought me such incredible joy, and connected me with many friends, and that was unexpected for both of us. Nothing lasts forever, but Millie has been with me a good long while, and I shall continue to enjoy her every day she is still with me.

Now, on to the Christmas decorating.

I'm hosting the dinner this year, and I got the decorations up, but I felt something was missing. (and you know me...)

You all know how much I hate, loathe and despise "cute" (except for kittens, puppies and small children related to me). I have always thought the shower curtain I chose for the second bathroom was pretty cool. (I wanted to rewallpaper the room, but chose something white before I realized the tub, sink and toilet were... beige). ANYWAY, aside from the cat vase with the holly I showed you yesterday I thought the room needed a little something. I wondered if they made any holiday themed shower curtains that weren't "cute."

Indeed they did. So now this lovely graces my bathroom. You can also see the small pointsettia I put in there too. 

Here's the view from the other end of the room. I have red hand towels to use too.

This the shower stall in my main bathroom. It's so tiny I don't use it. Instead I store extra toilet paper (hello pandemic), some cleaning supplies, and I actually hang the holiday wreath in there during the year.

But the view from the toilet is decidedly utilitarian. What to do....??

WRAPPING PAPER!!!! I cut the pieces then taped the paper to the inside of the shower door. I probably would never have thought of this if it hadn't been because I've been making the lined drawstring bags to use to wrap gifts this year. I like looking at this a whole lot better.

This is the tub in the main bathroom. It is a spa tub, and I have always thought it was so ugly and dumb I never used it and just put junk in it. Or on the edges, as in the littler boxes Millie decided she didn't like a couple of years ago... I knew I'd had to at the very least make it presentable for Christmas dinner when my guests might see it...

I thought maybe I could fill it up with poinsettia plants. So I cleared out all the junk that was in there (you already know where the bucket ended up). I thought it looked better already. I stuck a poinsettia plant in there to see how it looked and to figure out how many I'd need to fill it up. After I took this picture I took the plant out and scrubbed the tub.

It looked really good. Then I got another idea. But the execution of that idea is still in process, so you are just going to have to wait to see what happens next.


OH, and by the way, yes, I know that poinsettias are poisonous to cats, but Millie just ignores them, so I am safe. Because otherwise I could not have done this:

Yeah. I got a little carried away. You know what my son says: "You know what I love about you, Mom?

"When you go over the top, you keep going."







10 comments:

Nancy J said...

Fill the trolley, they are gorgeous. And Millie, enjoy every dayXXXXX

Megan said...

In the midst of all of that, I'm just wondering why you have a clock on the wall of the guest bathroom. Care to enlighten us?

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Linda Swanekamp said...

Just goes to show you- you can decorate anything. So sorry about Millie- cats have a way of inching into your heart. My guy, Tugger, has been losing weight- he is 12. He has bouts of pancreatitis and is on special dry food. Otherwise, he is obnoxious a great deal of the time.

Nancy said...

Thank you so much for a picture of real life. I thought I was the only one who used her terrible tub for storage. What a waste of space.

JustGail said...

I *like* that shower curtain! And the gift wrap behind the shower door.

Elle said...

I like that. "When you go over the top, you just keep going". :-) Which begs the question, are your son/DIL/Grand coming for Christmas? We haven't "seen" your granddaughter for awhile ;-)

MissPat said...

What inspired improvements to the decor of your guest bathroom.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Really like the new shower curtain. And the tub story cracks me up (as you know from our telephone conversation). Bet the wrapping paper stays on that shower door for a while.

The Selvage Fairy said...

Millie had the hardest of lives before she came to you, and has had the best of kitty lives since then. You've always done the best for her, and you will continue to do so as you have to make decisions for her.

Janet said...

Everything you do looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing and giving me the push I needed to start my decorating. Love to Millie and you.