Monday, November 29, 2021

What Do You Do When...

 I was wishing my coworkers a Happy Thanksgiving just before leaving on Wednesday when one of my colleagues came into the front office from the factory carrying a couple of egg cartons. Apparently our shipping guy has chickens and he had a surfeit of eggs. It was late in the afternoon and most people had already left so there weren't many takers. 

"I'll take a carton," I offered. "I'm going to a big gathering tomorrow and I'll make deviled eggs." She handed me the carton and only then did I realize there were 18 eggs. No worries. I wrapped the carton with a big elastic band, put them in my bag and left. When I got home I opened the carton and was delighted! BLUE EGGS! and a couple of them were smaller than I have ever seen before. 

I ran out of gas before I got to hard cooking the eggs. I had to make cookies for the day, so I never got to it. But it got me to thinking (briefly) "What do you do with a dozen extra eggs?"

For me, the answer was easy. Angel Food Cake. Now I know this doesn't look like I made Angel Food Cake from scratch, but believe me, I did. I can't think of anything else that uses as many bowls, but...

it's so much nicer than the stuff you buy at the grocery store. 

And what did I do with all the extra yolks?

I made Lemon Curd. Yup, I stood at the stove and stirred and made the custard by hand too. It is so much less sweet than the stuff I get when I buy it. This has a lovely tang and is just wonderful.

Because angel food cake with lemon curd and fresh berries is really really good.

10 comments:

Ginny said...

Yum, I love both of those. They look delicious, wish you could share.

Linda M said...

Wow! That looks amazing!! Raspberries and lemon are a great combination.

Rebecca said...

MY first thought was an egg custard or a bread pudding...
But I like your idea better!

ebwhite said...

That deep yellow of the lemon curd is wonderful. The grocery store eggs give me a pale yellow curd. Enjoy every bite and crumb.

Robby said...

That's a beautiful cake! I confess, my first thought when you were going to make hard boiled eggs was that they might be hard to peel. I know there are a million 'best way to peel HB eggs', but in my experience none of them can overcome the really fresh egg. But then you made something fabulous that didn't need to be peeled. Enjoy!

Robin said...

Looks so yummy. I wish I had some too. And, you're right, homemade is best.

Susie Q said...

Look at that Fiestaware!!!! Lemongrass??? or Chartreuse? and a white dinner plate. The food looks great as well.,

Marianne said...

Great ideas! And just be glad you didn't make deviled eggs. Fresh eggs hardboiled are very hard to peel neatly. Next to impossible for me. (I have a weekly egg lady whose eggs are just picked)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Beautiful photographs - I bet the cake, curd, and raspberries taste divine!

QuiltGranma said...

Ah, fresh picked eggs, fresh from the vine... oops from the warm bottom of a hen. If unwashed they can last a long time unrefrigerated.