Sunday, September 19, 2021

Student Birds

 

This beautiful yellow bird was made by Sue from Oklahoma. Sue said she left the legs long in case I needed "a tall gal among your collection. Thought I'd name it Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, but it looks more like a woman, so Evangeline it is. Her nose will be a little snubbed, but she can be an example of what not to do."

This beauty was made by Helen Howes from the UK. 

This bird was made by Peggy from South Carolina, who wrote that she has "been following your blog for literally years... It has given me great inspiration and tips on my own quilting journey. Making your bird has been on my to do list for years. In fact, I pulled out your bird post from July 2010* I had printed for my guide."

I love the legs on this!!


 I'm always interested to see what students do with my tutorial. Edna has sent two birds, This one has really pretty long striped legs that give you the impression this bird is going places. Edna is from Kentucky.

This pretty bird was also made by Edna.

This very handsome bird was made by Karen Marie who lives in Massachusetts, about a three hour drive away. She calls this bird "Cataract Sally," because she is between eye surgeries. 

Karen writes: "I probably won’t be able to sew anything else for a couple of weeks after my surgery on Monday. ... I will definitely be making more when I can see evenly out of both eyes and actually notice whether colors work together!!!" Well, I think these colors work beautifully together!

The final bird today is from Tina in South Carolina. Tina knows about my cat Millie, and made a bird to represent her. She also had some fabric with a cat that looked like Millie, so she appliqued that near the bird she made. Millie has a black patch on her back leg (as you can see in the photo below), so this bird is perfect! I confess I asked Tina to take a black marker and darken the little fabric cat's chin to mimic the black spot on Millie's chin.

There are still birds flying my way, and there is plenty of time for you to send me a bird if you would like to join the flock. Email me at PatcheryMenagerie AT Gmail DOT com for my mailing address.

 

* that post from 2010 no longer exists. If you want to make a bird you can get my tutorial which is for sale on Etsy.



5 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Like I said, this is going to be a whopper of a terrific quilt!

Dorothy said...

I love these. It would be hard to pick a favorite. My computer is finally up and running again. Will email for your address

Helen Howes said...

Well, that got there quickly! I learned from the online tutorial in 2010, must have made about 500 of these, mostly very small...
Bless you
HH

Ann said...

What a treat to see how your students interpret birds.

QuiltGranma said...

Sew fun to see what all they change to make the birds their own!