Saturday, July 17, 2021

Sideways

 I am pretty sure we have all had a day that goes sideways, despite our best laid plans. My Friday was like that. My boss had encouraged me to start taking some of my vacation time, so we decided I would take Friday off.

I had it all planned out. I would get up, shower, strip the bed and change the sheets, go to the town hall to register my car, pick up a few things at the grocery store, then head to Bittersweet Fabrics to bring my Elna sewing machine for servicing. Then I would drive to Peterborough NH, where I would get some fresh herbs and flavored olive oils, have a good lunch, and then drive home. I even had a restaurant picked out.

The first distraction was when I decided I should make myself a cake. After all, I have a birthday coming up. I decided I would make Dorrie Greenspan's Celebration cake, and I would use lemon curd as a filling. That meant I needed to go to Angela's because I think Stonewall Kitchen makes the best lemon curd anywhere. I don't keep the stuff in the house because lemon is my favorite flavor, and I have absolutely no problem eating the stuff out of the jar every time I open the fridge.

This is the Cocoa Yogurt Cake with Coffee Glaze and Toasted Almonds from Yossy Arefi's book, "Snacking Cakes"
 
But that was a pretty fancy cake. I could make that for my birthday and bring it to work to share. I checked out the ingredients and added them to my grocery list. I could make a "snacking cake" to enjoy right away. I had all the ingredients, and I didn't even need to get my stand mixer out. So I make that and put it in the oven, then took a shower. When I got out of the shower I stripped the bed and put the sheets in the washing machine, like I do every Friday morning. About that time I got a text from the pharmacy saying one of my prescriptions had been automagically refilled and I could pick it up. I made a note to swing by the pharmacy on the way home from the grocery store.

So I got on the road about an hour later than planned. I drove to the town hall and registered the car. On the way to the grocery store I stopped at the local farm stand to buy some fresh corn on the cob. Then I hit the grocery store, and the pharmacy. I drove home, put the stuff way, and was about a quarter mile down the road when I realize I had forgotten the list of stuff I wanted to get in Peterborough.

I drove back to get it, then I was on the road to Bittersweet Fabrics in Boscawen NH, home of Dave, the Janome and Elna dealer. I've written about the shop before. You can read that here. I brought my machine in. Dave was right there, "Did you call and make an appointment?" he asked. I had not. I explained the problem, "It needs regular maintenance, and there's some thread stuck in it. Do you want me to show you where?" "No, I'll find it," Dave responded cheerfully. Dave is the very definition of cheerfulness. "It'll be next up on my bench," he said, "you can pick it up tomorrow, but we close at 1 PM, so make sure to get here before then."

Needless to say I was dumfounded. "OK," was all I could manage. Looking around, I saw one of my former students and beta testers, Marie. We chatted for a while, and she introduced me to Dave's wife, (whose name I have forgotten) Mrs Dave and I chatted about what kinds of quilts I made, and what kinds of classes I taught, and what kinds of tutorials I wrote.

Dave came up to me, "Are you going to be in the area for the next hour and a half," he asked? "I'm going to be working on your machine next, and you can come back and get it then." 

Again, I was dumbfounded. "Yes, I was heading out to Peterborough. I can swing by on my way back." I left the shop and programmed the address of the shop in Peterborough. It was almost 90 minutes away. It was almost lunchtime. 90 minutes there and 90 minutes back was three hours. That and having lunch would make it a tight squeeze, given the late Friday afternoon traffic I'd be facing on the way back. And the leisurely day I had planned in Peterborough would be reduced to a mad dash. Not my idea for the day. So I found a restaurant in Concord, and drove there to have lunch. 

After I ordered my lunch, I thought about getting my Elna machine back right away, and the three rows of blocks I had been tinkering with all week. WELL HELL! I had already started sewing them together with the Bernina. Now I was going to have to... what? Take THOSE apart too?

Home again.

After lunch, I drove back to Bittersweet and picked up my machine. Apparently a spring had become loose and fallen off. The machine was skipping stitches. Dave got it humming like new.

You're all probably wondering why, with a Bernina, do I use my Elna as my #1 machine? Truthfully, it's the bright light. I can see so much better on it than the Bernina. I actually have one of those little clip on lights, but it isn't as bright as I'd like it to be.

 Back in the car, I decided the trip to Peterborough was not going to happen, so instead I drove home and cut out new blocks for all the rows I had previously sewn together. Yes, it was probably silly, but I figured it would be a lot less stressful than ripping and tinkering.

The afternoon's work complete.

Then I cleaned up.

OH! Do you know the absolute BEST PART of the day (NOT!) ?

When I got home and unpacked the car I realized I had left my jacket at the restaurant in Concord (a 25 minute drive away.) I drove back to get it after supper.

So when will I go to Peterborough and have a nice relaxing day visiting the artsy shops? Damned if I know.





10 comments:

Nancy J said...

I was waiting to read " And then I knew I had left the cake in the oven when I went out"!!! Thanks goodness that wasn't in the day's busy schedule. Phew, you pac k a lot in, but so do I as our next town is about 35 minutes away, so we have a list in order of parking or the size of the errand. Love your studio, and those super slanted drafting tables.

Dorothy said...

I too was waiting to read "and I knew I had life the cake in the oven----"
So are "we" taking next Friday off?

chipstir said...

Have you tried replacing your regular light bulb on the Bernina with an LED? I have a Janome and took my bulb to Lowes where I found an LED that fit. It has made a huge difference. Happy Birthday in advance and thanks for sharing your quits and your process. I am always inspired!

Ruth said...

A spring had come loose in your Elna?? Scary. How nice that Dave did it right then for you. I sympathize with the distances you had to plan for. One school day I made a plan to drive from Nashua to Keene, and visit a Fancy fabric store. Sadly, I didn't realize it was 90min away and the drive alone ate up ALL my time. Had to skip the fabric store. I barely made it back in time for my kindergartener to arrive home.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Well, at least all the pain in the neck errands have been completed and won't nag at you. People always tell me to be flexible and that makes me grit my teeth. When you carefully plan things out and the wheels fall off, it doesn't make me smile and say be flexible. You persevered and are ready to sew.

Amelia Quilter said...

Lynne, what kind of light do you have sitting
behind your Elna machine? Looks like it gives bright light
to your work area?

Quiltdivajulie said...

Hooray for birthday cakes! And for having your primary machine back at home all in one day (despite all of Murphy's assistance).

MissPat said...

So how about next Friday for Peterborough? And yes, I was waiting for the other shoe to fall and discover the cake had been left in the oven. You did get a lot done, even if it wasn't the most relaxing day. And you have your favorite machine back. Mine needs to go for a spa treatment, but I've heard there's a 4-6 week backlog. Even though I sew much less in summer, that's a bit long to be without my machine.
Pat

Hubblebird said...

I can’t stop laughing. I thought I was the only one that had those kinds of days. Driving to the city to see my granddaughter for only the third time since she was born, I took a wrong turn in the city centre and found myself driving the wrong way into oncoming traffic. Thankfully a police patrol car cruised around the corner, stopped traffic and breathalysed me (10.30am) ignored my pooch sleeping on the front seat and unrestrained, held up traffic to get me back on the right road, and let me off without a fine! All this after I drove through my first blizzard of snow in 40 years. It’s doesn’t snow here. My son, who was frozen waiting for me outside his apartment said, “Where have you been?” I didn’t have the heart to tell him. So reading your story tonight when I got home just made my day. And my granddaughter is gorgeous. I had a lovely time after that debacle!

Hubblebird said...

No idea why this appeared 3 times. Apologies!