Friday, June 4, 2021

Back in the Office

 

This was my OLD office (after I emptied it out last year). The cubicle walls were high, and we each had an overhead bin for storage.

This is an example of the new generic cubicles. Lower walls, smaller surface area, no overhead bin. I was told mine would be bigger to accommodate the printer I need.

 

When I got there the cubicle was totally empty. I had to move it all from the car to the office, unpack it all and assemble everything. I put it where I thought it would all work. It took me three hours. I set the printer on my right, because it has a fan on one side and I didn't want it to blow on me, but as I worked it was too crowded and unwieldy. I had lunch and then moved the printer to the other corner.

It's much better, and that big space in the middle is great for sorting and organizing. 

As you can see the workspace is fine. Thursday was my third day working in it, and it will be great. The lighting comes over my shoulder and I may need a small lamp but that's an easy fix. The closest person is in an office fifteen feet away.

Yesterday it was announced that 77% of the folks in the company are fully vaccinated and by the end of June that number is expected to be 90%. Effective Monday June 7 our company will be returning to pre-pandemic conditions. Masks and social distancing will no longer be required, however anyone who feels more comfortable wearing a mask may continue to do so. We were asked to be respectful of other people's wishes to continue to wear masks or social distance themselves. I can't really ask for more than that.

It was very nice to see everybody, and to hear stories. I had not realized how fatiguing it would be until mid afternoon when the CEO swung by and told me to "pace yourself. This is more stressful than you think, and we've all been through it." At 4:00 PM I was beginning to believe it. My boss came by shortly afterward and told me to leave a half hour early. By that time I was running on fumes, so I gladly complied.

THE COMMUTE HOME was everything I hated about the old commute home. Crazy traffic, stop and go, cars jockeying for position in front of me... I had forgotten the stress. My least favorite part of working at the office, is still my least favorite part - the drive home. But I know that, and I know how to manage it, so that's OK.

THE BEST PART... OMG, working AT the office, everything is so fast. Files that took 45 seconds to save when WFH now take less than a second. And if I need an answer to a question, I just get up and walk to somebody's office. 

AND... the IT guy told me to keep the laptop in case I needed to work from home. 

I worked from home for fourteen full months. At no time during this pandemic did I feel like I was being taken advantage of. The leadership at my company took steps to protect and support the workers every step of the way. I am very lucky. I am well aware that this is not common. I have worked for this company over 32 years. There's a reason for that. The last fourteen months were proof.


 




8 comments:

Dorothy said...

Glad it is a good "back to the office" for you. (commutes to and from will never change I'm afraid)

Juliana said...

Thanks very much for sharing your return to the office story. I'm retired, so I am not having to deal with this facet of the pandemic, but I'm very interested in what's happening in the work world, especially the personal stories. You are very lucky, but also very strategic, to have found a company to work for that seems to have such genuine respect for its staff. Also, I like how much more open and light your new space is in comparison to your old cubicle. Hooray for a bright color!

JustGail said...

I'm glad the first day back went well. On the few times I got moved, I usually had to rearrange things a couple of times before I found the best setup. It's nice you have frosted upper dividers. Where I worked, they were slowly remodeling areas to have dividers low enough that most people could see over them while seated and everyone hated them. No privacy for phone calls or chats - apparently you were to go to the little work group rooms for those. That, the commute, and the 10-12 hour days are reasons I'm glad I retired. I do miss the people and the work though.

JustGail said...

I hit publish too soon - it's so cool that your company's leaders value their workers. Like you say - it's not so common any more.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

This was an interesting read Lynne. My daughter works from home and has been told further update in July. She worked from home two days a week as her perk before and would like to return to that combo as, like you, she didn't like the driving part.
Meanwhile, love how Lady Snaps is looking.

Just Ducky said...

Sounds like a successful re-entry.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I quite like the green in the new cubicle - and that your upper panels are not clear see-through but opaque. Light with out too much distraction from passersby.

QuiltGranma said...

to make it less stressful perhaps In Office should be every other day?