Monday, December 14, 2020

A Do-Over

 

Sometimes when you are so focused on one thing, you miss something else. This is a Do-Over of the Red Bird. When I made it I wanted to get the feathered edge of the angel's wing on the bird wing, but I didn't pay attention to how much "air" or negative space, was above the angel's head. In the new bird, above, I have fixed that. While I was at it I changed the color of the bird's legs and changed the beak.

This is the original bird, so you can compare the two. It isn't a big difference, but I much prefer the way the angel fills the space of the wing at the top. I know it's a little thing, but every time I looked at this bird that space bothered me, so I made a new one.


Call me crazy, I know, but I am happy I made the change.



If you are interested in making your own birds, you can get my tutorial here, at my Etsy shop. This bird is NOT PAPER PIECED.

11 comments:

El-Fee said...

Hi Lynne,
of course we call you crazy and you are besotted, but THAT'S what we like about you and the reason for reading your wonderfull and teaching blog ;-))
Birgit from Germany

stitchinpenny said...

Not crazy. You answer to your inner artist and what anyone else thinks is irrelevant.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Subltle, yet effective change.

Just Ducky said...

You are crazy, but it is a good crazy!

Quiltdivajulie said...

IF it bugged you that much, then yes you should create a do-over. I get it.

The Selvage Fairy said...

The undisputed fact that you're crazy has nothing to do with the original angel looking a little squished by comparison. I also like the background fabrics better in the new one.

Joyce said...

The redo is perfect. Really like the beak.

Nann said...

I switched back and forth like one of those cartoon games, "Find the differences." Good thing you had enough of the angel fabric to make the new block.

QuiltGranma said...

So, what do you do with the blocks that you decide do not work for your quilts?

Ann said...

It's always interesting to see the small changes artists make to perfect their work. Thanks for sharing.

Kathryn said...

I like the changes you made. The bird looks much more elegant now.